Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
IMO it is more of a defence/submissive behaviour rather than "please scratch my belly"

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
IMO it is more of a defence/submissive behaviour rather than "please scratch my belly"
That explains why it lays on its back exposing its softer more conspicuous and more vulnerable underbelly and flails its arms as if in distress...Thats an effective defensive strategy:thumb:

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
That explains why it lays on its back exposing its softer more conspicuous and more vulnerable underbelly and flails its arms as if in distress...Thats an effective defensive strategy:thumb:
Not all defence's are good.. Alpacas for example. If you place your hand on their neck they freeze which is useless if a large predator hunts it and grabs it round the neck........

But on the subject of lizards, the ones that play dead.. the bird or whatever may very well just still eat it whether it thinks it's dead or alive.........

You're right it is pretty crap but that's what you're seeing. If you see at the start the uro was kind of going head to head with the hand as if it was preparing to fight/ defend itself..............

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I did think it was going to bite at the start, but when been touched legs moving not very good defence then when not touched staying still thought playing dead was not to move at all.

Dont know what to make of it weird video.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Not all defence's are good.. Alpacas for example. If you place your hand on their neck they freeze which is useless if a large predator hunts it and grabs it round the neck........

But on the subject of lizards, the ones that play dead.. the bird or whatever may very well just still eat it whether it thinks it's dead or alive.........

You're right it is pretty crap but that's what you're seeing. If you see at the start the uro was kind of going head to head with the hand as if it was preparing to fight/ defend itself..............
The theory of evolution would dictate that these utterly crap defensive mechanisms weed themselves out leading me to believe you may not witness this in wild specimens, as for alpacas they have been domesticated for thousands of years, this may be as a result of human interaction this has originated??
Although in theory this may not be such a bad defensive move anyway as a big cat, one of the few natural predators they will face, will more then likely chase down the alpaca that turns its back and runs as opposed to the one that stands still...I dont know, can only speculate really.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The theory of evolution would dictate that these utterly crap defensive mechanisms weed themselves out leading me to believe you may not witness this in wild specimens, as for alpacas they have been domesticated for thousands of years, this may be as a result of human interaction this has originated??
Although in theory this may not be such a bad defensive move anyway as a big cat, one of the few natural predators they will face, will more then likely chase down the alpaca that turns its back and runs as opposed to the one that stands still...I dont know, can only speculate really.
It's whatever init, my opinion is that this uro is displaying some kind of defensive behaviour, which might not make sense to us but from the uro's point of view it must think it is doing something right to still be alive :lol2:

·
Registered
107 Posts
The last study I read on this behaviour in Mali's concluded it was likely not submissive. It was noted that both males and females exhibit this behavior to both males and females so not a mating thing. They also observed Lizards doing it to each other in turn, given that they can't both be submissive to each other they concluded it was more of a greeting. Probably not the only conclusions on it but for for thought. Will try to dig it out

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
It's whatever init, my opinion is that this uro is displaying some kind of defensive behaviour, which might not make sense to us but from the uro's point of view it must think it is doing something right to still be alive :lol2:
Come to think of it I've never seen this behaviour in any other Uro but then I don't keep them so...

Maybe it was a dog in an earlier life?? who knows...:whistling2:

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Come to think of it I've never seen this behaviour in any other Uro but then I don't keep them so...

Maybe it was a dog in an earlier life?? who knows...:whistling2:
Yeah, I am no expert on their behaviour.. who know's what it is thinking lol

Will be interesting to see what other people make of the video

Reactions: GeckoD

·
Registered
623 Posts
from my understanding of their behaviour it is a submissive display of sorts, the aim is the stop the other mating with it so by lying on its back it makes it impossible for it to be mated. If the wanna go defensive all they need do is whack you with their tail, I can vouch for it hurting having been whipped numerous times by all 5 of my uros.

Reactions: MrJsk and GeckoD
1 - 13 of 13 Posts