Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends were rushed 2 A&E last nite due 2 itching, burning rashes a good hour after I handled my B.Smithi. The hospital said these ppl were allergic 2 the urticating hairs but they had handled my spider many times before with no problems. My spider is still juvenile, do the hairs become worse as they get older?

·
Registered
548 Posts
My friends were rushed 2 A&E last nite due 2 itching, burning rashes a good hour after I handled my B.Smithi. The hospital said these ppl were allergic 2 the urticating hairs but they had handled my spider many times before with no problems. My spider is still juvenile, do the hairs become worse as they get older?
rushed to A&E? ... was the itching really that bad??!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Itcher

The main 'itcher' said it was that bad & when her eyes started burning my wife was straight on the fone 2 the paramedics. Shes still itching now, 12 hours & a shower later. Are the hairs likely 2 become any more harmful?

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Handling spiders isn't something I condone and there are a number of reasons why. I wouldn't have thought the hairs were likely to be any more irritating but the size and volume would increase.
I'm curious as to why they were rushed to A&E especially considering you suggest more than one person. Where was the rash?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The main 'itcher' said it was that bad & when her eyes started burning my wife was straight on the fone 2 the paramedics. Shes still itching now, 12 hours & a shower later. Are the hairs likely 2 become any more harmful?
no they just itch like a f****r everytime it happens, my B.Boehmei is the worst for it

wouldn't of thought it was bad enough for an A+E job though, suppose if they got in the eyes though, happened to me a couple of times and it kills, need rinsin straight away

·
Registered
156 Posts
The hospital said these ppl were allergic 2 the urticating hairs but they had handled my spider many times before with no problems. My spider is still juvenile, do the hairs become worse as they get older?
The spider might be shedding more "hairs" as it gets older - my G. rosea never used to flick at all and she does it a lot now. It's also possible that it's a coincidence and that your friends were both sensitised last time they handled it (so the allergy only developed after that).

Any antihistamine medication should lessen the symptoms; it's worth keeping tablets and cream at home in case anybody needs them, and remind people to wash their hands straight after handling Ts. :2thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts