Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read someone had used large pebbles from the beach(steralized) in their leo's setup. I thought about this but i can see crickets making hiding places which will make it difficult for them to catch their dinner.

Would using small pepples be a better idea?

I really dont want to use paper towel on the ground and dont want the risk of using any types of sand!

·
Registered
191 Posts
pebbles

Crix will hide any place they can fit, so pebbles will give 'em somewhere to hide. I am presently using Zoo Med Cage Carpet for my lizzies & the crix can't get under the stones in my viv anymore.
I use small pebbles to big rocks, to keep my agamas amused. So long as nothing can fall on your geckos, any size is good & they can hunt the crix in the stones. If you put fruit in the viv, the crix will come out of hiding to nosh it. :twisted: You have just got to be tricky with them!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
that would be me with the large pebbles and by large i mean large so you need two hands to carry one of them, they are put together like a patio with coconut fibre in crevases between them like grout so no no holes or gaps, i did use small pebbles for my fire bellied toads when i first got them but changed this very quickly as crickets actually hide inbetween smaller pebbles easier plus small pebbles is definately not a good substate for a gecko every time it strikes for food its likely to swallow some pebbles aswell....definately not a good idea... :)

just so you get an idea of size i mean..i have since updated this so even more stones and less coconut fibre..

but i would say kitchen roll for up to first 6 mths is best, also you should'nt really just tip in food so that your likely to get loads hidding especiallly when gecko young, i tend to drop one in at a time when thats caught and ate next one etc, if you just pour them all in at once while shes chasing one others all have plenty of time to hide and as crickets bite leaving them in viv overnight is not good...

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I use medium sized pebbled in some of my vivs just to hold the kitchen roll down at the edges so the crickets cannot escape underneath it. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are not large pebbles :lol: they sound like rocks! smooth ones :)

When I say small pebbles Im talking say around an inch in size! would that be ok?

Also concidering the cage carpet!???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok cool, was just a thought, but thanks for the advice! wasnt being picky with the rock thing by the way :D

What do you think to the cage carpet idea tho?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really nice setup! thanks. Ill get some of that coconut fibre in then, with some pebbles I think.

The leo's are 2 yrs old so i shouldnt need to start off with the kitchen roll :?:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts