Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
dont know, i read somewhere that normal bulbs arent capable of producing UV, and at £30 i would stick with tubes as i know they work.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The thing is that they are still new on the market so it will be difficult for people to tell you how they find them, and many will be cautious about using them.

I have read in a lot of places that a 5.0% strip will have UV output to a distance of 6 inches, and the 10.0 goes further etc, which is why they say put the strip in the middle of tha back wall.

Personally I will see what the reviews for these are in 6 months time before I consider using them. I'd rather use a 10.0 output strip bulb that costs less and last almost as long.

I totally understand your confusion, but would rather be safe than sorry, if only to make sure that they get adequate UV exposure, as those little bulbs dont run the length of the viv, bearing in mind your lizard will prob spend most of its time away from the basking spot

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
you could use either but sumwhere they do actually sell a mixed UV and basking light bulb and there fantastic there expensive but its neather than 2 bulbs :D

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have used the arcadia compacts that came out a couple of years ago and they were ok,but to be honest for a juvenile beardie where UV is of upmost importance i wouldn't risk it.
I would go for a repti-sun 10% tube,they are proven to be the best on the market by far and although more expensive they retain a higher UV output for longer making them more economical in the long run!
Hope this make sense!

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help guys and girls!

i have decided to get the strip light just so i know its ok!

I was looking at the mix ones but my concern would be that if they dont spend enough time basking he wouldnt get enough UV.

Simon your a snake man get back to your own side :p lol (but thank you for your help!) xx

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi,

I swapped the tube for the arcadia bulb as a friend advised me they were good. My cham seems to be alot more active since I put it in and the fiscus plants have gone mad!!. May be a coincidence though?

·
Registered
39 Posts
A word of warning regarding the ReptiSun mercury vapour lamp which I think is the joint bulb that people are talking about here. I used them with my Uromastyx to begin with, but I went through three of them in just over a year & a half, at almost £60 a throw they didn't prove atall economical for me :(

Also, the thing I didn't like about them was that when they blew(which is what happened to all three of them, despite being posisioned in a very well ventelated area) not only did the lizards lose their UV source for the day while I was working, but their basking spot too. Bad enough to lose one of those but I didn't like the idea they were suddenly plunged into darkness & it put me right off the lamps.

I then switched to the exo-terra 8% UVB tubes(I ran three at once as Uros need plenty UVB), they were 100% reliable & so cheap I was happy replacing them every six months. Those are what I would personally recommend.

I've heard that the copact lamps are also prone to blowing before their time so I'd be cautious about using them.

Lee.

·
Registered
632 Posts
ZOOMED all the way!! tests have proven that they give off the best % of usefull UVB you can get especially for chams!! i'm not sure if they do them in "bulbs" :? but strip lights cover a wider area! zoomed r the very best company when buying UV lights!! :D i've got loads of info & case studies i can pm u if u need it!! xx :D

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
pixie_bex said:
Thanks for all your help guys and girls!

i have decided to get the strip light just so i know its ok!

I was looking at the mix ones but my concern would be that if they dont spend enough time basking he wouldnt get enough UV.

Simon your a snake man get back to your own side :p lol (but thank you for your help!) xx
You are right i am a snake man but........

This is "chucky" my 3 yrd old sandfire male,i have a couple of females as well and allways use the zoo-med repti-sun 10% tubes for all of them!

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aww! Mine is a Sandfire aswell my Mr Obi! Matilda is shalf Sandfire and Baby Grumplyn is a mix if evil! lol

Thanks again for all your help! I have got a 10% tube xxx

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
The two best UV lighting sites on the net at the moment are:

www.uvguide.co.uk and

www.reptileuvinfo.com

Well worth reading I can tell you, both packed with very useful information and tests carried out on most of the UVB providing solutions for reptiles.
Check out the MegaRays from www.reptileUV.com I personally think that is a product worth watching.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts