Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard some where that uv can bring out the colours in your fish, is uv safe to use? and if so what kind

cheers

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
i dont think it brings out the colours, what it does it kill diseases and parasites?

not sure, never used it myself. but i know it kills whitespot. :lol2:

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
Do you mean actinics? Actinic lighting is a type of blue lighting you can get for fish tanks, which you can use at dawn/dusk or all day. I had metal halides (white lights) on my marine tank, and actinics on all day, extended to dawn/dusk when just they were on.

The colours are indeed bought out very nicely...

This is under actinics AND metal halide (white:

and this is the dawn/dusk period of just actinics...

They do put out some UV, they make yellow highlighters fluoresce loads! Really cool.

Then, as esfa says, there are UV lights which are used in UV sterilisers... that kill organisms. They only work within a stupidly close range though, like 1cm or something... and you wouldn't put them over a tank!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys i want to use sumit that will bring out the colours of my fish a bit better but more to the point im havng a lot of trouble with the lights i have now. they are just normal white strip lights but my tiger barbs hate them, it was sugested to me that i put the room lights on first then the tank lights to get their eyes used to the change but iv been doing that and they still hide as soon as the tank lights come on.

any ideas? cheers

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
you could get some floating plants like water lettuce or amazon frogbit to block out the light a bit. : victory:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not really iv got for plants in there and a air stone skull thing lol i have plans to totaly plant the back of the tank 2moz when i can get some plants. do you think this will help? i dont really want them to hide you see.

cheers esfa il see if i can get some =]

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
i have plans to totaly plant the back of the tank 2moz when i can get some plants. do you think this will help? i dont really want them to hide you see.
Definitely. The more hiding spaces you have, the more you will see them. Unless you have none, then you will see them 24/7, for the few days they live... :lol2:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol ok cool they are quite happy with the lights off its just when they are on.

argh right
when i set up the tank my gf picked out my gravel and at the time i thought luminous green and back would be cool but its actualy driving me nuts now. so my next question is what is the safest way to change the gravel?

cheers

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
lol ok cool they are quite happy with the lights off its just when they are on.

argh right
when i set up the tank my gf picked out my gravel and at the time i thought luminous green and back would be cool but its actualy driving me nuts now. so my next question is what is the safest way to change the gravel?

cheers
get a big bucket, drain half the tank water out and put the fish, heater and filter into the bucket. then drain the rest of the tank water out somewhere. then just take the gravel out, put the new stuff in, fill the tank up, put the fish and equipment back in, and viola. :mf_dribble:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now i thought it wud be that simple lol. im asuming you put the old fish tank water back in as well as the new water to keep bacteria etc?

my only worry is that even after i cleaned the gravel when i first set up the tank. when i put it in a filled up the tank the water was clowdy from the gravel dust. if that happens again what should i do? or will that be ok?

·
Registered
39,214 Posts
Just wash it as good as you possibly can, until the water runs clear, and then just use it. It will still cloud the water up... but wont do any harm.

And yes, conserve as much water as possible... though, as long as the water you add back is dechlorinated and same temp etc it shouldn't matter. Just a nice big water change.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wkd thanks guys so il get more plants and new gravel 2moz lol il post pics for you when its sorted =]

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol i cant w8 to get ot sorted=] hope u all like it

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Following on from the uv thread,i installed a vecton unit on my 240l tank last weekend,and the whitespot on my new south american puffers has all gone-no chemicals needed! Def a worthwhile investment if you have sensitive fish.:2thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts