Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lovely 3 year old Bearded Dragon, Olly. I've always had a UV Bulb and a ceramic heat light for an extra boost during colder months.

Originally it was set up on a timer, 8am till 8pm, but after the first time the light popped they suggested it could be the timer so I stopped using it.

Despite this, the UV lights are popping every couple of months and it's getting really expensive. Most of the time I could go back and get it exchanged, but now the garden centre I got them from have closed down their reptile side and don't stock them anymore, with replacements being £50+

Each time I check if its the fuse, but it never is. It's such a pain and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I even bought a £90 bulb as I was told they hardly ever pop! Really frustrating.

I'd also like to know how long my BD can go without a UV Bulb? As I was thinking of getting one delivered asap from online. We're having 25C+ weather here at the moment, just worried about digestion/her being generally miserable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sounds very strange, its a long shot but is the UV started to powerful for the bulb?

There should be a wattage rating on both the bulb and starter.

Also your bulbs seem way too expensive, try surry pet supplies web site they should be around £25.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starter? Maybe thats the problem as I don't think I have one.

The viv simply has a bulb fitting which connects to the plug. Hmm!

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Is it an MVB, mercury vapour bulb £50 for a bulb is very expensive for a standard tube fitting, personally for a beardie I wouldn't use anything less than an arcadia T5 12% with a reflector, much cheaper than an MVB in the longrun once you get started, and just as powerful with a wider light distance.

There are still dodgy UVB products around too with a reptile tag on them so a pic would definately help.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This isn't plugged in, but it is connected to the smaller bulb, but isn't used. It has limits of 230v and 600w

The one on the left is the one that I usually have on and connects straight to the plug.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I can remember its an Exo Terra 125w MV

·
Registered
623 Posts
Personally as said, I would stop buying those bulbs and get a tube UV and then just use a normal basking bulb..it would be much cheaper in the long run too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice :)

What equipment would I need?

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
MVBs are great if you can get them to last, but they are so fragile it doesn't take alot for them to shatter, I don't use them alot of my reptiles are humidity loving and they wouldn't last two minutes.

You will need a UVB starter.
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/arcadia-electronic-t5-controller-24-39w-ace1u5.html
You can get better ones for multiple vivs and higher wattages but I am just going by the assumption you have one viv.

a bulb or tube, if I was purchasing for a desert dwelling sunlover like a beardie this would be my choice.
Arcadia T5 D3+ Reptile Lamp 54W 46in - Surrey Pet Supplies

and the reflector.
Arcadia T5 Reflector 46 inch 54W - Surrey Pet Supplies

the sizes will depend entirely on the size of your enclousre so thats to your discretion, 48" being 4ft long so calculate from there.

abit expensive to get started but in the longrun your gonna save some pennies, the tubes last ages too, once a year tube replacement is recomended by most but some say they could probibly last longer.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Those exo terra MVB's are awful for reliability, I doubt many people reading this thread will be surprised to find out that's what brand you've had problems with.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's fantastic, Salazare, off to the ps now :)

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, my ps turned out to not have anything in, apart from trying to sell me a 15w bulb. They did have a Komodo control starter unit, but I don't usually trust that brand.

Going to order from the links you sent me, Salazare! Olly is out chilling in the conservatory where she has full rein, and is sunning herself, getting warm, but no UV :(

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bought :) £70, cheaper in the long run like you say. Olly has a simple bulb for now, should be delivered by tomorrow!

Brilliant, she's very happy in the sun atm though! So at least she doesn't look miserable anymore.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Bought :) £70, cheaper in the long run like you say. Olly has a simple bulb for now, should be delivered by tomorrow!

Brilliant, she's very happy in the sun atm though! So at least she doesn't look miserable anymore.
If you are worried about her not getting enough sun take her outside for 20 mins if its warm where you are, 20mins unfiltered natural sunlight will do her the world of good! :)

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
So, my ps turned out to not have anything in, apart from trying to sell me a 15w bulb. They did have a Komodo control starter unit, but I don't usually trust that brand.

Going to order from the links you sent me, Salazare! Olly is out chilling in the conservatory where she has full rein, and is sunning herself, getting warm, but no UV :(
your most welcome
what big rich and bab1084 said really
if this weather keeps up and you can get your beardie outside for half an hour a day or longer if its this hot ;) it will be much appreciated by your beardie.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeh, she's out of her viv quite a bit in this weather, which is great!

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Goodbye MVBs!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just had to share these!

Reactions: Bab1084
1 - 20 of 22 Posts