Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be upgrading the Viv that my Leo orginially came in soon. It's currently one of the 34" Monkfield variety ie low 9" profile with a hinged wood and glass lid.

I have seen many positive threads from people who have introduced UV lighting to their Leo's habitats and have suggested this will provide some benefit to the little fellas. However my leo, being a RAPTOR morph, is an albino and my gut reaction is to worry that UVB lighting is to be wary.

The reason I am asking is that Dave is a secretive and picky eater and arguably seems to eat by osmosis as he seemingly ignores his food for days but slowly the occasional roach vanishes. He made friends with his locusts, the brown crickets often lead an uninterrupted lifestyle and so I'm starting to give up on them. I've yet to see him even sniff at the odd waxworm I've tried and his mealworms have formed their own support group to help them get over being ignored for so long. This makes dusting the animals he does eat really bloomin hard as by the time he eats them the calcium / D3 supplement dust is likely to have simply fallen off whatever is was placed onto.

Arcadia's website suggests that albino leo's can still make use of UVA & UVB but maybe not for high end morphs like Enigmas.

Is a RAPTOR a high end morph?
If I was able to offer him UV lighting should I be looking at a lower UV rating for the tube to go with increased foliage and cover so the UV is not as intense and he can easily get shade / cover if needed?

If anyone has any experience with the situation I would appreciate your thoughts. Just very keen to ensure Dave is getting all the right care

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Great question

in your case im going to say no,

Man, has perpetuated non natural colour variations, as such we have turned a desert creature into being "light phobic"

now....the animal will have the same core biological needs and processes as the wild variation. Nothing really changes but.... the eyes being so sensitive to light and the skin being so thin will have changed the way that they utilise and tolerate light.

so it is "lose, lose" for the animal

you will have to maintain the rather "hit and miss" process of using synthetic powders alone and as no one knows the maintenance dose per species or body weight we walk a tightrope of over or under provision

sorry I don't have better news!

john

Reactions: Viqer Fell

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that John. I suspected you might be, yet again, the source of wisdom.

I guess Dave will have to make do with a living space upgrade and hopefully he'll pick up the nutrients he needs from the dusting.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Yes we will have to hold, it's we can do within current provision.

It's the thing that worries me most! No mention per brand of minimum effective , maintainence or min toxic level per species. We know these things are toxic! But how much is needed???? Your guess is as good as mine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts