Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made some advice posts before hand but am going to get whichever choice i feel is more suitable today..SO some final advice would be appreciated.

I have blue bulb heating viv during day, previously had heat mat on the side of viv with polystyrene covering it (shop advice).
Problem is its not sufficiently heating her viv at night.

I have been told to get a ceramic bulb which I was going to go and get today, but have just been looking into the possibility of getting UV bulbs?
Is this method as sufficient as ceramics?

Thanks Jay

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Not really for heating no

A ceramic is perfect as a non light emitting heat source

Additional uv is great dependant on species....but I wouldnt use one for heat

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant cheers guys, ceramic it is then..
Find so much conflicting info online its ridiculous.
:gasp:

Cheers Jay

·
Registered
371 Posts
The only UV bulbs you can use for heat are the mercury vapour ones. However, they generally seem to be massive in physical size, and you can't use a stat with them.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
UV bulbs are not for heating.
i'm not being cheeky,but it depends on what your keeping mate

the only heat my Diamond Pythons get are 2.0 uvb natural daylight bulbs,uvb tubes are NO use as a heat source imo

with the exception of their 4 month cooling cycle,where they have a heat mat set at 49F,just incase the temps drop too much (cooled at 50F to 60F)

the rest of the year a 2 to 8 hour basking spot of 90F,with a 2.0 uvb natural daylight bulb...

Diamonds are true cold weather pythons,with different husbandry to all the other carpets...

to the op
if you opt for a light emmiting heat source,you will need another type of heat source for night time temps

non light emmiting ceramics you can use 24/7 to heat your viv,much less hassle than setting up 2 individual heat sources for day and night

cheers shaun

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Brilliant cheers guys, ceramic it is then..
Find so much conflicting info online its ridiculous.
:gasp:

Cheers Jay

imo ceramics are by far the easiest type of 24/7 heat source mate

they give good consistant ambient air temps,and an accurate basking spot temp

always use a stat and a bulb guard with them

cheers shaun

·
Registered
6,059 Posts

the only heat my Diamond Pythons get are 2.0 uvb natural daylight bulbs,uvb tubes are NO use as a heat source imo

with the exception of their 4 month cooling cycle,where they have a heat mat set at 49F,just incase the temps drop too much (cooled at 50F to 60F)

the rest of the year a 2 to 8 hour basking spot of 90F,with a 2.0 uvb natural daylight bulb...

Diamonds are true cold weather pythons,with different husbandry to all the other carpets...

to the op
if you opt for a light emmiting heat source,you will need another type of heat source for night time temps

non light emmiting ceramics you can use 24/7 to heat your viv,much less hassle than setting up 2 individual heat sources for day and night

cheers shaun

Fair point- I use a 60w bulb as heating for my royal.

But I wouldn't advise using one as sole heating source. Especially as a newbie is just as likely to purchase a bulb as a tube.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your advice guys, I actually went for this in the end..once speaking to the guy at reptile shop.

it has created perfect temp at each end of tank, and i can leave it on 24.7
seems fairly suitable?

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Looks fit for task. I use ceramics because the coloured ones don't let me appreciate the true colours of my animals unless I take them out the viv. That's the main advantage IMO

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
It will work OK, but I couldn't help noticing the price. If you'd paid a little bit more, you could have got a ceramic, which would last 10x as long.

If that bulb is getting hot enough to create a basking spot, don't forget the heat guard.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts

to the op

cheers shaun
intresting what you say about the diamonds which would answer a lot of reasons why people years back had such bad results trying to breed them. have allways had a soft spot for them after i first saw them back in the 80s and hope to get myself a pair in 2014. only been keeping capets now since september 2010 and enjoying them very much!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts