Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people ,
I am hoping that somebody can make some recommendations for a reasonably priced UV meter/solar meter to measure the out put of the UV lights in my various Vivs and with a future outdoor project.
Thanks in Advance
Robert

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Hi,

The only one really worth investing in and is largely accurate is the branded solarmeters.

I used to use a 6.2 all the time but now I only use the 6.5 to measure total index.

John

Hi people ,
I am hoping that somebody can make some recommendations for a reasonably priced UV meter/solar meter to measure the out put of the UV lights in my various Vivs and with a future outdoor project.
Thanks in Advance
Robert

Reactions: Robbrown 52

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

The only one really worth investing in and is largely accurate is the branded solarmeters.

I used to use a 6.2 all the time but now I only use the 6.5 to measure total index.

John
thanks John for your expert recommendation will be acquiring one ASAP.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
no problem,

the 6.5 really is a cool bit of kit.

you can use the weather reports in the COO to see what index you should be providing at basking and of course as part of the light and shade method.

then by using the meter you can accurately "set" that index by adjusting your decoration at basking to allow exposure to that index at that point. You will then be able to plot your photogradient as you move from upper basking to cool and shade.

when that is set you can record index data through the year to see when your index had reduced enough to warrant a change of lamps.

remember however that all lamps have to burn in, so run it for 100 hours before you take your first reading or you will get a weird result.,

john

Reactions: Robbrown 52
1 - 4 of 4 Posts