Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been given an old fish tank with a glass sliding lid if I stick my uv tube on top will the uv ray go throu into the tank ok for the frogs and plants. Cheers

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Short answer: No.

Glass blocks UV rather effectively, unless it happens to be the expensive 'optiwhite' glass that people talk about- and with this tank, that's very unlikely, I'm afraid.

EDIT: In any case, the UV is for the animals, not the plants- they use different wavelengths.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it has to be glass optiwhite is not much more expensive.
so with optiwhite glass you can put canopy on Viv and the UV will go through? And would that be the same with other tubes like t5 lighting? Sorry for all the questions but im designing a new glass Viv just over 6ft long so maybe opti white may be the way foward im wanting to have it fully planted warm viv with a large water area. Any tips of you guys would be great :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
so with optiwhite glass you can put canopy on Viv and the UV will go through? And would that be the same with other tubes like t5 lighting? Sorry for all the questions but im designing a new glass Viv just over 6ft long so maybe opti white may be the way foward im wanting to have it fully planted warm viv with a large water area. Any tips of you guys would be great :2thumb:
Yes optiwhite will let a large percentage of UV through and other T5's will be fine also.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Been young doesn't always mean that they need UV bud. I rear lots of darts without any for example, some in fact only get ambient light.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Low lead glass (optiwhite) is only a little more cost wise than what the equivalent thickness of plate glass. Have made lids for all my Exo-Tera out of this with good success.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been young doesn't always mean that they need UV bud. I rear lots of darts without any for example, some in fact only get ambient light.
These are very large Rana species and I don't won't to risk there development in anyway I'd rather be safe than sorry. Or do you strongly think uv is not needed even for large species as long as there supplemented? I'm always wanting to here people's views cheers mate.: victory:

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Hi Oli.

Honest answer, I've never kept Rana, so wouldn't feel comfortable advising re their care to be honest. I believe quite strongly that giving advice on a species you've never kept can be a huge mistake that comes back to bite you on the bottom sooner or later. ;)

Ade

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As you guys are hot on planted vivs! I was wondering how much mesh Do i need to go on the top of the viv when Im designing my 6foot Viv? I don't really wana go with a full mesh top because of letting heat out. I was thinking about a 5inch strip along the back and 2inch strip at the front the viv is 2feet deep.
Cheers guys:notworthy: I've yoused fake plants for years but now I've got the time for the real deal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts