Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi this may sound dumb (im into lizards more) i've looked at a couple of snake caresheets like royals, hognose, corns etc. but none say if they need uv light so i wana know if they do.. any info will help

thnx
tj

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
i was told corns don't need lights, i mean.. the bedroom light or light from window should be sufficient apparently.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
No not needed at all... especially with albinos... I use it with a few of mine for aesthetic pleasure more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Snakes (most any way) don't need UV. The reason for that is most of them are nocturnal. I'm not sure, but I think there may be a few diurnal snakes out there that might menifit from a UV light.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
as soon as i get the glass all done for my viv, i'm going to have some sort of lighting in there. But it's not needed.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
they dont need it, i use lights for heating during the day, they need to be turned off at night so i also use *looking over sholder* heat mats at night.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Nope snakes generally don't need UV... Most species are diurnal (i.e. out at night and at dusk) so they wouldn't naturally recieve sun light anyway. Most of those components they would need from the sun come from there prey!

·
Registered
632 Posts
welshgaz said:
Nope snakes generally don't need UV... Most species are diurnal (i.e. out at night and at dusk) so they wouldn't naturally recieve sun light anyway. Most of those components they would need from the sun come from there prey!
Diurnal means active in the day, noctural means active at night. :?
there hasn't been alot of research done on snakes and UV but i guess that it would have beneficial qualities! but most snakes in captivity do well with no UV input- but thats not to say they don't need it! wait n c what the scientists say in the next few years!! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts