Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always use UV bulbs in my snake vivs and the one in my corn viv just blew.
It got me thinking about the changes in laws on bulbs and how it may affect what will be available in the future with halogens already banned and florescent bulbs due to be banned as well?
My concern is the heat provided, I only ever use a uva/uvb bulbs in my corn vivs for heat and light (nothing at night - 14hrs on, 10hrs off).
I'm interested in others views on how the changes may affect our animals?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Hopefully by the time fluorescent tubes get banned or cease production LED technology will have developed to produce a range of lights that provide the correct wavelengths at the right output. But as they may not run as warm, then an alternative method of heating would be needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We've had some discussions on this through our rescue groups. It won't likely be a blanket ban, because there's too many uses of halogens that are necessary, I believe hospitals use them (though I couldn't honestly tell you what for, it was a comment made by a friend) as well as zoos etc. Its likely that just as the EU ban that came out many years ago, it will be a household ban. I.e no usage in house, except for special circumstances such as reptile bulbs etc. But I havent kept up with the legislation as of late.

Given that you've stated halogens are already banned, but you can still buy reptile specific halogens, I'd assume thats whats going to happen. But you know what they say about assumptions.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As above, any ban will likely be stipulated with exceptions, just as the halogen ban was. Flourescents for use as UVB lamps will likely be allowed as it is of welfare importance for animals (in our case).

UVB LED's will certainly be the way forward, but as yet, the only 3 UVB LED systems on the market are pretty rubbish, and no delivering the right wavelengths to properly allow both synthesis and destrucion of D3 in the skin.

Reactions: RelicExotics

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I found it very difficult to get 35W GU10 Halogens from any electrical wholesalers last year, and resorted to buying some from Amazon. Of the 10 half have failed within 48hrs so can only guess that these were cheap imports from china... Now if wholesalers can't supply standard halogens then I assume that it's not just a domestic ban that was enforced ? - Granted there will be halogens manufactured for specific used, but then you'll find that once the "reptile" or "medical" label has been stuck on it the thing has doubled in price !

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My hope is they will allow exception for certain reasons, but as Malc said, prices are going to rise ( something I already deal with with disability equipment). We've discovered some of the newer type bulbs don't fit in the safety cages, so more extra expense.
Mercury vapour bulbs are still an option, but not exactly energy efficient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts