Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want ot give my Leos variable night/day temperatures but only heat the vivs with a heat mat. Matstats only seem to limit the temp, so how can I best give automatic day/night temperatures?

I looked at the dimmers and pulse proportional thermostats but comments seem to suggest they are not particular effective with low wattage items such as heatmats alone. All comment and/or experience welcome!

·
Registered
81 Posts
hi, it is possible with a day/night pulse thermostat. mine works fine on an ultratherm heat mat but didnt seem to recognise my microclimate one was plugged into it (both are 13 watt - 11x11). if your going to get a pulse stat try the ones on cornishcripa website, think i paid about £45 for mine.

at the moment i use my microclimate mat on an on/off stat set at about 75f, i have a bulb on a timer so when it turns off and the viv starts cooling down the mat comes on (although some people dont like using bulbs with leo's - ive had no problems)

steve

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Any pulse prop stat should be fine for a mat - it's the Habistat dimming stats that have a min load of 40w. Microclimate dimmers have a min load of 5w so should also be ok for mats.

For varying day night temps you need a day/night stat - unless you can just turn the heat off at night.
Another option would be two stats and two mats, set at different temps and both on timers so that one comes on when the other goes off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts