Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I am feeding dargo my BD on 8mm brown crix twice a day she eats about 20 at each meal. I tried to vary her diet and bougth some mealworms, but she doesnt seem that interesed in them, and will only eat them if hand fed. What else can I feed regularly, so I can maybe give crix for brekkie and something else for dinner. Also which are better black or brown crix.
thanks

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
lots of people use locus although you dont egt many in a tub normlay about 10 so not much cop really i dont think erm i use rouches aswell at the moment instead of crix they seem to be quite good
manda xx

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Mine love locusts - none of my lizards seem very fond of crix. They are pretty expensive compared to the crix though. The occasional butter worm/wax worm they love too - but too many of those are fattening but they'll take your fingers off for them :lol:

Where do you manage to get roaches from? I remember getting my hands on some once and my BD loved them. I'd like to feed some of the giant ones to my sav.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Thank you! I'll wander on over and take a look - I want some giant ones for my savannah monitor - lobster roaches and that type.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx guys. I'll be heading out and buying some locusts tosee how dargo goes on them, maybe in future I'll try roaches, may take a little getting my head round that idea though urgh.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just been to pet shop th get locusts but they only had large ones, too big for Dargo, will have to find somewhere else to get them from. Where does everyone get there livefood from, have found a couple of paces online but wasn't sure whether to try them or not.
thanks

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
locusts,wax worms,meal worms, crix and the occasional pinky, all are good, some are fattening.
I was told to crush the heads of meal worms as they can eat thier way out of the bd stomach,not sure how true this is though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
you can get them online i used to use www.mealwormsdirect.co.uk or a lot of people use www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk - sorry thinks thats right. they post them to use. usually next day - depending on the time of the week. most live foods are the same price per tub - depends where u shop.
Thankfullyi now got anew local rep shop and get mine there. Check which day they get live food deliveries then you should be able to get enuf for the week.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I get mine from everythingforpets.com they are £2.95 for a tub, amount varies with size, delivery is free and usually takes about 2-3 days.

·
Registered
391 Posts
cor www.mealwormsdirect.co.uk ( were global foods i think)are only £2.65 per tub and i get them the next day if i order before 11 am. only on about 3 or 4 occasions did they not turn up in 2 yrs - so thats pretty good. I dont use em now as i have a very good local shop that gets fresh food twice a week. I think i did try the pinkskink once a long time ago, but prefered the webby of mealwormsdirect

oh yh and its free delivery -like most sites i think plus discount for 3 or more items

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all your advice, its looks like ive got some shopping to do.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Yeah dragons will pretty much eat anything, but beware of the quantities of each as each insect has different nutritional value. Crix should always be a staple....

Mealworms - Not great nutritional value but I thknk the dragons love the crunch. Hard exo skeleton makes them hard to digest but I always add a few to there salad.

Waxworms - Extremly fatty and addictive, should only be used as the occasional treat. I normally get a tub of 50 on each crix order of the web. These get shared out between 4 dragons, leo & my Cham.

Silk Worms - Expensive but a great feeder. These are probably better than crix as a staple but they are kinda expensive

Brown/Black Crix - Always the staple as they are cheap and nutritional good. Vary what colour you feed them. I find if I switch between the colour regually it keeps my dragons interested. I had problem where they would eat brown crix for a while and switched, job done!

Locusts - Good feeders but its like giving cocaine to the dragon. They are very addictive so I wouldn't feed to many constantly or you may find they will eat not much else. Then you bank account gets very small

Roaches - Not had these but are good feeders. You can bread you own therefore potentially very cheap. I just can't stand the though of having roaches around my house, I can handle crix but not these!

Earthworms - Not sure of the nutritional value but mine take them

Pinkies - The occasional pink is ok, but they are mega fatty! Usually given to Gravid females..

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all that info, it really helped, i now have a good idea how often to feed certain foods really reeally helpful thanks

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
welshgaz said:
Locusts - Good feeders but its like giving cocaine to the dragon. They are very addictive so I wouldn't feed to many constantly or you may find they will eat not much else. Then you bank account gets very small
So THAT's why my bank balance has depleted so rapidly :lol: I'm just glad monitors eat rodents/chicks/etc too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts