Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New beardie arriving Saturday and everything is in place and set up but i'm still slightly confused as to what things are a good staple for everyday use. I've looked at the guide on Beautiful Dragons and even the associated Us to UK language conversion chart lol but i'm still having trouble finding a good half a dozen things that are readily available at local supermarket to use on a daily basis. The ones i'm thinking of using so far are as follows:

Spring greens (am I right in thinking these are the leaves from things like cauliflower?)
Rocket
Grated carrot
Watercress

There's a few that i'm not sure are stocked at supermarket or are available as just leaf:

Mustard greens (not sure if these are readily available in morrisons lol)
Turnip greens (can you buy just the leaves?)
Dandelions (guessing you can't buy these? Don't really wanna pick wild ones just in case)

Also I know there's other things that can be fed on a less regular basis like apples, celery and such so that's not a problem, just wondered if anyone could tell me any more about the daily foodstuffs above?

Thanks in advance -Adam

·
Registered
670 Posts
I buy a mixed veg bag from ASDA for £1.

Has cabbage, red cabbage, carrot and red peppers. All these can be bought seperate too.

Also, try Curly Kale.

Theres loads mate!

And wild dandelions are fine if they have not been sprayed with weed killer etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Spring greens ;) (not trying a shameless plug.. the first image didn't work lol)

And Asda definately do spring greens, wild rocket and watercress daily! (I work on that section so i know ;))

I also give ours mint, parsley, basil and chives occasionally. Never sage and spinach though i was told .

With Dandelions theres no problems growing your own especially at the moment, got an old tub in our garden and left it to do its own thing :2thumb:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh cool, didn't think red peppers would be ok? but if you're feeding them i guess they are. I just assumed that you can never be certain of wild dandelions having weedkiller/insecticides on them... i'd be too nervous feeding them lol, could grow some i suppose.

So what other things would you suggest if there's loads lol.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use spring greens water cress red yellow green bell peppers grated butter nut squash and carrot rocket kale spinach not a staple spinach and kale thoe just a treat I also treat her with green grapes what she loves and only a rare treat if you know any local organic stores they usually have dandelion leaves and mustard greens etc

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brilliant stuff! Thanks Kelvin W, GeeUK and especially MarleyMoe for the shameless Asda plug lol. Think that'll be enough choice to be going on with! Just been doing so much research that you often miss things and get frustrated, thank god for reptile forums!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
The timing for this couldn't have been any better, been reading so many food charts but so many are contradictory at times with each other, good to see it put down what people can and do realistically get from a supermarket.

As for me, well Nemo is damn tiny I'm having to make everything very very small and fine, right now I'm boiling up some butternut squash chunks that I'll run through the garlic crusher to make tiny pulped bits, a bit of very finely chopped basil on the side, probably go to ASDA tomorrow for a pack of spring greens cos I love those myself!!!! :2thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts