Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone could share some information on the venom composition of two species that I have recently acquired. So far I have printed and kept all the information (next to the snakes vivarium) from the following site;

WCH Clinical Toxinology Resources

I have found conflicting views on the venom of the trim ranging from pain and swelling to death.

The other snake I am struggling to find good information on is Aspidelaps lubricus lubricus

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
984 Posts
Are you interested in the venom composition or clinical significance of those species? There are several publications about toxins isolated from Aspidelaps but not a huge amount.
Both snakes are a bit of an unknown quantity but certainly capable of delivering severe, potentially life threatening envenomings and this is compounded by the fact that neither are specifically covered by any antivenom. Trigs are generally regarded as relatively low danger because of apparently low human toxicity and venom yield, and there don't appear to be any human fatalities on record. Aspidelaps don't appear to bite many people but there are reports of human fatalities (although these reports are slightly dubious). I would be very cautious with both species, lack of AV means that a serious bite is going to give you and the doctors that treat you a serious headache!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am interested in both the chemical composition and the medical significance of the venom.

The Trig confuses me as some sources suggest it will be extremely painful and cause swelling, whereas others state that there have been known fatalities from this snake.

The lubricus as well, some reports say that pain and swelling are most likely and others suggest it has a very similar venom to Naja pallida but lacks the quantity of venom to cause significant harm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.