Reptile Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
:roll:

tbh, it does help to know the basics first...

and one of those is, that snakes are not poisonous, they are venemous..

kinda beginner talk i know, but if you want to keep them, you have to start somewhere..

you go to most hot keepers and talk about "poisonous" snakes and they are going to think "what!!!"
(and yes, ok i did edit the "what!!!)

N

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Ok, well thank you for your help then!

I was, however, thinking more regarding handling techniques rather that terminology. That can be learnt along the way. Staying safe has got to be the priority.

Are there such courses?

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
to be honest im not sure how many people on here keep hots you could try captivebred forums they have a section for hots and quite a few people keep them

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
not really no, thats the problem... the best thing you can do is find a mentor.. but most mentors are going to want to see things off you first.. and i guess attitude and enthusiasm helps. most of them won't waste time on people they don't think are worth it i guess

(hence why knowing the right terms helps ;) it shows an interest in the subject)

i did a module on hot snakes in the advanced herp course i did a few years back, but as far as i know thats no longer running... we handled a few on the day, which was pretty cool, but i would no way consider that to be enough to make me able to keep one myself.

you need to decide on the species you are interested in i think to start with... when you apply for a dwa you do need to be specific about what you are getting it for.. and working with a mamba is a different matter to working with an eye lash viper.

where abouts are you in the uk? i do know someone i can put you in touch with, but they are a bit fussy about who they take on to mentor.. they get a lot of dreamers you know? people who would like a dangerous snake to boost their image :whip:

N

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Well I have a genuine interest in the subject and have been wanting to learn how to handle hots safely for a while (see note1). I'm a very quick learner and I don't think anyone as described me as a "waste of time". :)

I'm not looking to be a protégée to anyone or anything, but I would like to learn and become proficient and safe with them.

I'm in Bristol!

NOTE1: Don't tell anyone ;) but I wrote a letter to Jimmy Savel when I was about 8, asking him if he would make it possible for me to handle venomous snakes. It's only now I can see why he didn't reply, lol! But shhhh ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Any friendly, knowledgeable people fancy teaching ;)

One quote I've always liked with regard to handling hots is 'careless causes casualties'

Don't know of anyone who does a course in handling hots but surely if you volunteer at a reptile house they'll be able to demonstrate some techniques. Just a thought

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
One quote I've always liked with regard to handling hots is 'careless causes casualties'

Don't know of anyone who does a course in handling hots but surely if you volunteer at a reptile house they'll be able to demonstrate some techniques. Just a thought

I can remember reading a quote someone said it was something along these lines

"when considering getting a venomous snake think about it very carefully then decide not to"

it made me laugh anyway

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Whats an LTC?
If it's reptile related, LTC stands for Long Term Captivity

If you're looking at females looking for male in the local paper classifieds, LTC stands for Loving Tender Care ...

Actually I think the latter is TLC (Tender Loving Care) :grin1:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have around 30 venomous snakes for sale atm
Cobras, Rattlers, Gaboons, Rhinos, Trims, Death Adders and a few other bits. All Defrost feeders. Most are CB or LTC
So if you have a DWA or PSL that allows them pm me for full price list
Collection from Devon only
Hi can u send me pictures an prices on your gaboon an Rhino viper 541-671-8093

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.