Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably topics that have been done to death already, but:-

what are the best places and number of vents to have on a 4x18x18 viv? I was thinking 2 at the bottom (warm end) and 2 at the top (opposite end)? - heating is by a reptile radiator/heatmat

Are 4 vents enough (the circular type, about 3" diameter)?
Are the vents better on the back, or the sides?

And lighting - for viewing purposes only, fluorescent strip light or normal incandescent?
Any views on LED or coloured lighting?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I have a viv thats 4x2x2 foot, i have two vents the same size that you described at each end, i put them at the bottom on the warm end and at the top of the cool end so that as cool air comes in it gets warmed and travels down the viv, if you did it the other way round with the warm end vents at the top and and the cool end vents at the bottom you would get a cool breeze running down the viv.
I heat it with a heatlamp and mat both on stats, dont use flourescent strips for snakes as they hate bright light, natural light should be fine for most snakes, most lizards require uv so you would need one of those. I use red bulbs but still turn them off at night, its generally believed that reps cant see red/blue/purple light but when i left my red lights on at night my royal python stopped eating, so i now dont use them at night. If you use normal incandescant bulbs for viewing use as low a wattage as you can find as they give off heat and could over heat your viv, they would also need to be guarded to stop the reps from burning themselves.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I think someone uses them for they're tarantulas with some success.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts