Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I prepare the vermiculite for my chilean rose? Do I put it in dry or do I add water? : victory:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
How do I prepare the vermiculite for my chilean rose? Do I put it in dry or do I add water? : victory:
Neither - many G. rosea specimens will take an instant dislike to vermicultie, and will scale the sides of the tank to avoid it.

You would be much better off using dry coconut humus or a sustainable peat source.

·
Registered
689 Posts
i just use mine straight out of the bag m8 my chile loves it if i put anything else in he'll stay on his hide untill i clean him out. but there all different so just try it if it dont like it as dan said coconut humus or peat

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
try it

I wouldn't use it, why "try" it when your 99% probably have to replace it when the chili starts climbing as Dan said. Pointless bud

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wouldn't use it, why "try" it when your 99% probably have to replace it when the chili starts climbing as Dan said. Pointless bud

not true as i said coconut peat etc wet and dry my chile rose sit's on his hide and wont budge untill dry vermiculite is back in, there all different. but when i bought mine it was on vermiculite so whether that had anything to do with it who know's. but if he's bought it no harm in trying it see if his rosea like's it

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
I mentioned in another thread why its likely that your chile rose doesnt like coir. A dry substrate is ideal for these, preferably one that they can burrow in, vermiculite is no good for burrowing and you'll never find it in the hot climates of Chile.
Vermiculite: great for humid environments. As a sole substrate great for feeder insects to hide in.
Go for the general rule rather than the exception :)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
my chile's been in vermiculite the past 8 years and she's always on the ground, not once used her bark i don't think

all depends what they've been brought up on i suppose

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
interesting.
I should make it clear, I'm not saying using vermiculite as a substrate is going to kill/injure your G. rosea, its just a substrate that's normally used for humid loving species. That's its natural quality, the retention of moisutre. Infact Anne West (RIP) wrote a book on tarantula in the early 90s which advocated vermiculite as a good substrate, and she was one of the founders of BTS I believe. But, as I suggested, we've learned a lot more since then and the improvements suggest a substrate similar to their environment or at least one that provides the facility for the tarantula to use its natural desire to burrow.
If your tarantula is happy on vermiculite then I guess there's no reason to change, however its not something I'd suggest to a new keeper as the best substrate.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your replies... I'm very grateful and will bear them all in mind. At the minute as Promarc said, I may as well try the vermiculite as we've already bought it, but theres a very good pet shop not 3 minutes walk away from my home so if she dont like it i can change it asap. Its actually my sons T but he works 5 days a week, so the cares been left mostly to mammy lol.... I was dead against him having a spider at first, but seen as ive been allowed to express my love of reptiles, ive been much happier with myself, so i thought i'd let him have one, and i'm more than happy that i did. She is the most beautiful sweetheart ever and so gentle and most people would say im crackers but when she's out its like she's so much happier and loves my son to bits already.... Thanks Chelford67 for our beautiful Lola Magenta... she's a super stunner xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts