Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick story for you,

In march this year we went into a reptile shop in the manchester area (very close to the city center) I don't want to name it for obvious reasons. We saw a very thin but beautiful albino burm being kept in crap conditions, we bought him and took him to the vet who said he was simply very underweight and dehydrated :cry: , He is now doing absolutely amazing :D

we went back to the shop last week and saw a female common boa in a viv with an albino burm and 2 cornsnakes :shock: she looked really sad so we decided to "rescue" her (for £120 :shock: ) (I know this was a bad idea but we couldnt just leave her there) Today I notice she was infested with mites :( and as if that wasn't bad enough I now think she has a respitory infection :cry: She is wheezing, has bubbling sliva and is starting to breath with her mouth open. Were off to the vets tommorow with her for treatment so hopefully she will be fine.

WARNING: IF YOU GO INTO A PET SHOP IN MANCHESTER THAT HOUSES LOTS OF REPS TOGETHER IN THEIR VIVS BE CAREFUL THEY WILL HAVE MITES AND MAY BE REALLY UNHEALTHY LIKE THE ONES WE HAVE HAD FROM THEM :evil:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Agreed, ideally, you shouldn't buy animals that are obviously not well cared for, are in distress, or obviously suffering ill health. But I've been in this position myself on a couple of occasions and my first thought was to get the animal out of it's situation and do something to help it, as I'm sure was the case here.
Reporting the shop to the authorities does nothing to immediately alleviate the animals suffering, which, rightly or wrongly, has been my first priority when I've found myself in this situation, whatever the cost to myself or benefit to the shop.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on one visit the same viv had a tortoise in with the snakes as well, and a viv with water dragons and tortoises together. IDIOTS.

The reason I don't want to name them on here is because i dont want this site to get slapped with a lawsuit, if you really want to know pm me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
not sure didn't notice it when we went in,they did have gecko's that looked underweight tho,i'm no gecko person,but i could tell they didn't look right.

i went on that web site someone recommended earlier and sent an e-mail to someone wasn't really sure where to make a complaint to

·
Registered
416 Posts
mark told me about this last night. ive said for a while about how bad it is having all of the snakes together. its just like they throw in any bigger snakes together as they dont have the space to keep them individually.

maybe we should all send emails to that repta(sp?) place. if they get enough reports then surely they must do something?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts