Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two weeks or so of having escaped, I found my corn snake inside the guinea pig's cage (they were fine :)).

I put him in his viv, offered him food and he struck the mouse nearly immediately (must've been hungry, poor guy).

Anyway, I was observing him that some of his scales, are loose, almost as if he were going to shed (mostly in the head and neck areas). Now, I know that snake's eyes go opaque some days/weeks before they shed, but his are not. And neither does he look like he's going to shed, at all. :(

What can this be?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
one picture will tell a thousand words mate: victory:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
when snakes go into 'slough' there eyes apear milky or blue and there colour fades, they stay like this for several days, then this clears up for several days and then they shed, my guess would be it was almost ready to shed and therefor has normal eyes etc. however i may be wrong it could be some sorta of wound from being out or ginea pigs cage? as i say its only my opinion and please anybody feel f ree to correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. He's not going to shed. I'm sure of it.

I think he tried to move through somewhere very tight and didn't manage, and now the scales in his head/neck are very loose and generally damaged. I'll get a pic asap if I can.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
ok

like you and others say a piccy is what everybody would need, if you cant and are still unsure id take it to the vet and get it checked over

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Has he had a bad shed while missing could be retained shed, purely a guess.
As been said pics will help: victory:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It is more than likely that he has damaged some scales on his adventures, moving through small gaps and rough surfaces. (This happened with one of my royals)

If it isn't serious I am sure it will come out in the next shed.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, pictures here. They aren't the best quality ever... but

·
Registered
2,769 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
As per my last post. Doesn't look too serious in my opinion but see what others think.

If it isn't causing the snake any discomfort or an open wound then let it have a shed and see what you have after that.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot guys :)

It doesn't look like he's in pain, so I'll leave him be for now.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
yeah tbh it doesn't look bad at all i wouldn't worry too much unless it gets worse

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
around this part of the forum we call that premature sloughing: victory:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.