Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I stop my snake being vicious when I'm trying to get them out of the vivarium because it bit me and I started bleeding

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
You keep snakes = You gonna get bit at some point

What snake is it?
How old?

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
What snake is it? Regular handling will in some cases make the snake slightly more tolerant, but tbh I would never buy a snake without the realisation of one day they will probably bite me

·
Registered
7,147 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Try to make sure you don't dally when you are going to pick it up, if you hesitate then it can make them jumpy as well as making you jumpy... as my OH said when we first started out ( not too long ago) if you are gonna pick up the snake just reach in and do it don't mess about. I admit the first time or two i wore a leather glove ( i know I am a wuss) but now I just reach in and grab em.
This is with a temperamental young boa and a small but strong juvenile carpet python (known to be a bit snappy when young) I never have to worry about my rat snake tho, roland is blind so i have to let him know I am gonna touch him so as not to startle him but he has never struck at me ever, he does not strike feed he has never even hissed at me. He is my gorgeous baby!

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Is it you or the snake is 15?

How come you don't know what its set-up/Temps are?

How long have you owned said snake?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If he is just being bitey and defensive when your trying to get him out of the tank then he could just be viv defensive. If it's a corn, put up witht he bites and carry on till he/she calms down, if you really wanna be a wuss, use a leather glove. lol

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The shop shoul have given u atleasr feeding n shedding info. They calm down quickly with regular handling. Congrats tho, iv never been biten, not once n i handle all my snakes regularly.

If you just go it you need to leave it to settle in for a week so it feels secure. Do you have a hide for it? If not get one it will be a great help.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Umm..... Corn snake, don't know, don't know, it was fed on saturday, every week
so you don't know what you keep it in???????????? you haven't got a thermometer to check temps????????? these are all basics!!!!!!! as i was reading your other thread by the sound of it the snake is stressed due to temps being to high 30c-40c is going to make the snake short tempered so a thermostat fitted to the heat source to keep the temps lower will sort things out. and a thermometer is a must! digital ones can be bought of ebay for as little as £1.75 posted.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
That's quite worrying that you don't know what kind of setup you have, or the temperature. I'd bet my house that the reason it's biting is because of stress, due to basic husbandary requirements not being met....

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.