Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondered does anyone keep Viper Boa's or know of anyone that does??

Just wanted to know some stuff about them really..anyone got any good info/personal expereince etc as the online information seems very limited!

Cheers,:2thumb:

Oh and pictures would be good too if anyone has any!

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
I doubt I would tbh, not unless I could find CB specimens, im not saying they are all like that, but I have heard of other people having problems and they seem to be all WC at the moment, the only pic I have is this one. its not a great pic really.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice looking snake! Do you know what species the all black ones are with red bellies by anychance i dont really know much about them lol

cheers

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
i've got a couple of males from the same batch that Siuk got his from - they've been moved onto fresh kill and almost doubled in size since i got 'em. i give half of the tank for water and the other half spagnum they are opposites and Ant is always in the water and Dec is always in the spagnum.
what info would you like to know??

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies..just general care etc on them and information i may find useful.. im not new to snakes so know about heating etc etc just thought id find out as much as possible before bringing it home.

The one im getting is an adult female wc but a ltc i believe only feeding on live at the mo..i imagine it will be quite a task to tranfere over to f/t ?

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Thanks for the replies..just general care etc on them and information i may find useful.. im not new to snakes so know about heating etc etc just thought id find out as much as possible before bringing it home.

The one im getting is an adult female wc but a ltc i believe only feeding on live at the mo..i imagine it will be quite a task to tranfere over to f/t ?
Shouldn't be too hard really, once they take live persevere, heat a df, make it act like live(draggin it along the floor, movement changes etc) and it should take, after a while you usually find they will just take defrost ok, I'm sure Denise had a pair for sale not long back, if your looking for some try PM'ing her?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts

it's a really pain in the bum - it's taken just over a year to get to fresh kill but the only way it'll take it is to bash the mouse and while it's legs are still twitch present and it takes it. anyother way and it won't. i assume that adult WC will be next to impossible.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
My WC Viper was on live for a few weeks then discovered that it would take dead prey if offered in Darkness (i.e. only red light from vivs on).
Also they seems to be a preference for natural coloured prey as opposed to white.
My set up for vipers is pretty simple and is basicly a tub full of moss with a large water bowl all kept in the mid 80's f with high humidity.
Once you get your viper going on defrost they seem to lose most of their inhibitions. I do not handle mine if I can help it and be warned their bite hurts like hell, surprisingly so for such a small snake.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My WC Viper was on live for a few weeks then discovered that it would take dead prey if offered in Darkness (i.e. only red light from vivs on).
Also they seems to be a preference for natural coloured prey as opposed to white.
My set up for vipers is pretty simple and is basicly a tub full of moss with a large water bowl all kept in the mid 80's f with high humidity.
Once you get your viper going on defrost they seem to lose most of their inhibitions. I do not handle mine if I can help it and be warned their bite hurts like hell, surprisingly so for such a small snake.
ooo great haha, im yet to be bitten by any snakes! The housign requirements sound fine for me so that shouldnt be a problem. The boa is currently handable and is quite tame aparently..i think id take it out with a hook then handle i dont think i fancy just sticking my hands in its tub to pick it up especially if i start trying to convert it over to f/t..may mistake me for a mouse!

Do you have any pictures of yours?

Im quite interested in the one ive been offered as its something different and you dont hear people talking about them very often!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts