Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, I have owned her for about 12 years, got her as a baby from a private breeder. She’s was very docile, great to handle and has nailed every single feed, but for months and months she gone off food and I’m the bloody one getting nailed all the time, she’s very aggressive, I thought it was a little bit of strange behaviour but no too concerned about this as snakes will be snakes. So this morning whilst cleaning and feeding my snakes I see a whole bunch of baby boas in the brb tub, I couldn’t believe my eyes, in absolute shock, what have I just seen, HOW? I can’t find much information about this, does anyone know anything or has had any experience with such madness lol

·
Registered
33,048 Posts
So I have a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, I have owned her for about 12 years, got her as a baby from a private breeder. She’s was very docile, great to handle and has nailed every single feed, but for months and months she gone off food and I’m the bloody one getting nailed all the time, she’s very aggressive, I thought it was a little bit of strange behaviour but no too concerned about this as snakes will be snakes. So this morning whilst cleaning and feeding my snakes I see a whole bunch of baby boas in the brb tub, I couldn’t believe my eyes, in absolute shock, what have I just seen, HOW? I can’t find much information about this, does anyone know anything or has had any experience with such madness lol
That's stark barking crazy! As far as I'm aware BRBs aren't parthenogenic (self fertilising).

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
That's stark barking crazy! As far as I'm aware BRBs aren't parthenogenic (self fertilising).
A quick google and it would seem that they do indeed possess that capability

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23086743/

Abstract
A 22-year-old captive Brazilian rainbow boa (Epicrates cenchria cenchria) gave birth to four offspring after being housed with a vasectomized male. Sexual reproduction as a result of failed prior vasectomy, recanalization of the vas deferens, or prolonged sperm storage was ruled out using the clinical history, histopathology, and gross necropsy. Short tandem repeat (STR) DNA markers were genotyped in the male, female, and four offspring. None of the offspring possessed a diagnostic STR allele present in the potential sire. In addition, all offspring were homozygous at each STR locus evaluated, supporting parthenogenetic reproduction. This is the first report of parthenogenesis in a Brazilian rainbow boa and has implications for the conservation of reptiles maintained in captive breeding programs.
But it would seem to be a very, very rare occurrence...

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
komodo dragons have had partho clutches, I think virtually any species is capable of it, though it occurs far more often in boids, this may be because their more primitive compared to colubrids. why it occurs, what induces it is unknown, but it often occurs in females kept alone for very extended periods of time, I think this could a factor. females need to reproduce and if their deprived of a male their biology will "force the matter" to continue her genetics hence parthogenesis , in most cases (except komodo dragons it seems because of their odd sex genes if I remember correctly) all resulting offspring should be females, essentially clones of their mother.

consider sending your results to Dr Warren booth, this is his area of expertise https://www.booth-lab.org/

to the op, your one of a very select group, congrats.

rgds
ed

PS because of the huge volume of breeders, it occurs with some regulatory in ball pythons

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This information is extremely interesting, thanx for the reply, I will contact Dr Warren Booth

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
This information is extremely interesting, thanx for the reply, I will contact Dr Warren Booth
I think it would be prudent to make contact given the rarity of this occurring, and the number of babies your snake has dropped.

Your fifteen minutes of fame :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
We are starting to document this phenomenon more and more in captivity, it seems quite a surprising number of reptiles seem to be able to reproduce parthenogenetically, certainly quite a few Boa and Python taxa have been documented doing it, as well as some Viperids and others.

Usually the offspring from such a breeding are 'clones' of the mother but just recently it has been reported that some lizards can produce mixed-sex offspring from parthenogenesis which was formerly unheard of.

I would certainly report it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few pics from day 1 & 2. Mum delivered 6 live babies, 1 deformed and barely alive, and one slug. Pics are of the 6 healthy ones

Attachments

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
This is an incredible story - also your only your second post in SEVEN years and first thread in NINE !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is an incredible story - also your only your second post in SEVEN years and first thread in NINE !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes mate, truly incredible, done a bit of reading and learnt a lot in the past couple of days. Yeah, I’ve been busy travelling for a while

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
if I can give you some comfort, this is not unusual in partho clutches, their rarely perfect, 100% fertile etc, there's often issues, just due to the highly highly unusual occurrence in the First place.

hope for the best, prepare urself for some heartache, its largely out of ur hands, give them as much tlc as you can but still be proud of your adult girl, it may not be her last surprise she gives you.

my condolences on the baby that passed.

rgds
ed

Day 3 One dead. 5 left, they’re all a little sluggish 🤬🤬

Reactions: elishacoombes9

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if I can give you some comfort, this is not unusual in partho clutches, their rarely perfect, 100% fertile etc, there's often issues, just due to the highly highly unusual occurrence in the First place.

hope for the best, prepare urself for some heartache, its largely out of ur hands, give them as much tlc as you can but still be proud of your adult girl, it may not be her last surprise she gives you.

my condolences on the baby that passed.

rgds
ed

Day 3 One dead. 5 left, they’re all a little sluggish 🤬🤬
Thanx Ed, I knew this wasn’t going to be completely smelling like roses. Let’s just hope there’s not going to be more grim updates

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Was totally Amazed by this.
I know a few reptiles possess the capability of doing this. And it’s Amazing! Just imagine if we woman could do this, no need for a man
Turns out Brazilian rainbow boas seem to be able to have clutches this way, though rare, online there’s a story back in 2013 of a clutch, first one recorded so they say, she was 22 years old that had 4, and Sacramento zoo a couple years back, their female had 3. They kept them on, they’ve had her in the zoo since 1987.
I hope your little guys do well and you don’t lose anymore! Even though it was unexpected must be heartbreaking still.
They’re lovely, I’d have to keep them all being that they’re special haha x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day 4 All babies are good, one more quiet than the rest, and one feisty one, tagged me twice, never been so happy to be tagged, although I’d like to think it was more of a couple of kisses 😘😘

·
Registered
123 Posts
Amazing story.

Always reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park.... "Life finds a way!"

How true.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts