Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My sons Cali King has, up until last night, just started feeding again after his 8 week sulk. Dropped him a mouse in last night with an added pinch of Avimix vitamin supplement, and it's still there this morning!

Not noticed his eyes clouding, so don't think he's ready to shed (last one was about 3 weeks ago).

So, the question is, is he put off by the 'scent' of the Avimix, or is he just winding me up on purpose??

Any thoughts??

Jason

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Does the supplement have a smell that you can easily detect yourself? If so he'd definitely be able to smell it so it may have put him off.

Or it could just be that he's gone off the feed again temporarily. My plains rat snake is like that recently - she'll refuse food for a month, then eat 2 or 3 times, then refuse again for a while. But then she has been a bit constipated up until about a month or so ago, so it could be worth giving yours a twice weekly bath for half an hour or so each time just to make sure there aren't any minor blockages - it can be surprising what comes out if that is the case :sick:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, I think you should start charging me a consultancy fee Mark!!

Yeah, there's a bit of a yeast smell with it, which puts me off anyway!

It seems to be dumping ok, with what I'm cleaning out of the viv anyways!

Think I'll give the Avimix to my Bro who has an amazon parrot, I can wrap it up for him for xmas lol.

I've never actually given the snake a bath, until I started using this forum the idea never occurred to me :oops:

I'm guessing just lukewarm water and let him swim round the bathtub for a few laps??

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
No worries - anything to avoid hanging up laundry or washing up! :D

I wouldn't bother with any supplements at the moment, as long as he's in good health and you're confident that the mice that he does eat are decent quality.

After I started giving my rat snake regular baths (on the vets advice) she had a few good normal looking poos, then after a couple of weeks some really hard bits came out - looked like matted/hardened fur - she was having some capsules in her food as well, a fibre kind of thing so that may have helped clear her out.

She hates baths (as all the snakes I've ever kept have!) so what i did was to use a large plastic storage box with a lid so she couldn't keep diving out!
I use just enough water to cover the thickest part of the body - and not too warm, just slightly on the cooler side of lukewarm. Apparently water is taken in through the vent when bathing which helps to soften any stools.

It may be that yours is just a sporadic feeder and not constipated at all, but a few baths won't do him any harm.

How old/big is he?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He (i'm not even sure he's a he, not even thinking about probing and probs never will) is about 3-4 yrs old, and about a metre in length.

He was last years Xmas present for my son and he went down a storm. He's always been a good eater, apart from a little sulk early autumn which I gather is pretty normal.

He's been good, really nice temperament, struck out a couple of times, but with good reason (once when I tried to take an unaccepted mouse out of his viv, whhops! I use forceps now lol).

Trouble is, I think I'm getting the bug now!! As you know (cough!) I've got a viv building project on the go, basically to rehouse the cali (he's in the all glass viv that I bought him in at the mo), and to buy Harrison (double cough!!) another pair of kings for xmas.

About the project, been thinking about your advice, think I'm going to build two vivs, a 48/18/18 for the cali and a dividable 48/18/18 for the new additions and put them on shelves in the alcove.

When the pair have grown enough, will open out that viv, change to ceramics and then build another one LOL. I'm gonna have to wire my electric meter I think!!

Oh god, I'm already thinking of the next project!!! Is this how it happens????

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
yeah, thats definatley how it happens,I've got three projects lined up, 1 JCP, 1 BRB and 4-5 Leos, would really like a friend for my girl BD aswell.
once you start its really hard to stop,lol.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sound familiar - the last show I went to I only meant to get a male corn - got a nice 3yr old male but also managed to come back with a female hatchling as well :shock:

I thought I was safe as I've really run out of space now, but recently found myself thinking about how we could re-arrange the living room.... :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL! The thing that's scaring me is it's just me and H in a 3 bed semi......I'm already thinking what I can put in the all glass viv that the Cali is in. I'm thinking something with a lower electricity requirement, like salamanders!!

How many snakes do you keep, and what species?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
We've only got a very small 2 bed place - 6 vivs in the living room and one in the spare room so I'm well on the way to taking over the house!

At the moment I've got 8 - 2 corns, a plains rat, a pueblan milk, a santa cruz garter, red-sided garter, a variable king and a royal. I've had numerous others in the past - just the usual stuff, corns, kings, garters, rainbow boas, etc.

If you're concerned about the electricity consumption then mats under false floors would be ok for kings, etc, as long as your house/room is kept warm and isn't draughty.
I do think ceramics are the best type of heating for most snakes but not essential unless you're keeping species which need the air temp significantly raised (tropical species mostly) - they certainly cost more than mats to run.

Another cheaper/space saving option would be a rack with tubs heated by mats or heat cable. I prefer to have proper vivs though - I like to see what they're getting up to :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, definitely want display type vivs, beats the rubbish they put out on TV lol.

The rack set up would mean the only time he'd really see the snakes would be when he handled them, and the Cali is usually only handled 2-3 times a week, but watched every night!

Just been looking at some kings on line with H, Mexicans are still fave, altho he's warming towards a Goins or a Huachuca (sp)! He thinks he's only getting one, so it's a major decision for him!

In reality tho, gonna see whats around as yearlings/sub when the vivs are built which should be next weekend-ish.

Deffo gonna stay with Colubrids for the time being, possibly even attempting to breed them if I can find a suitable pair to grow on (but thats way down the line I think lol)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Same with me - I spend more time just watching than handling.

If you wanted a tri-colour you could also consider milksnakes - pretty much the same thing as kings, generally a bit smaller though.
My pueblan milk is 2 years old and about 3ft long - he's a great feeder but I've not handled him much so he's still a bit lively, not aggressive at all though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, lovely colours on the milks, and they're definitely an option. Going to see whats around in the next 2-3 weeks, Mexicans deffo top, and there's somewhere local has some '06 but would like something a little older ideally - they'll be going into 24x18 vivs, and think they'll kinda get lost (stressed) in there?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As you'll be having heat mats in the small vivs you could get a hatchling and keep it in a tub within the viv, with one end of the tub on the heat mat. Then just let it out into the main viv once it's a bit bigger.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhh, that works!! Nice1, thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts