Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right! Finally got the carcass of a 4x18x18 viv together, only thing missing now is to seal it, fit the runners and arrange glass!! (Well, apart from fit the radiator guard when it arrives!!!)

Using 4mm glass, what is the runner size? (Got 6mm in my head, but that sounds kinda wrong!!)

Also, what are people preferred methods of attaching the runners? No nails or small oval head tacks??

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I used to use hot glue, but now use no-nails - no-nails hold them a lot firmer. With no-nails I believe one surface has to be porous, so if using contiboard/melamine you'd need to remove some of the laminate first, if present. I've also used araldite which works well.

If you use an adhesive of any kind it's best to score the back of the runners with a stanley knife loads of times (loads of diagonal criss-cross cuts along the length) as this will help the ahdesive to grip more securely.

Never tried using nails but some people on here have said it works well.

As for runner size - can be a bit confusing as "6mm runners" can either be runners with a channel width of 6mm or runners for 6mm glass. If ordering online best to ask questions first.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i use small panel pins, i used an adhesive like no-more nails and it fell out :shock: , so now i think panel pins are more secure, they are a bugger to get in, you will have to use something to knock them in once they get so deep, the hammer wont go between the slots of the runners.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
like Mark ...I use panel pins ...and yup a bugger to put in ( I used longnose pliers to hold them in place ) a small nail punch used after helps with the glass ' glide ' .

i used a single 10mm track ( B n Q ) for both my 4mm glass panels . HTH

Take care

1 - 5 of 5 Posts