Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is the least viv defensive large snake?

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
doesnt really work like that.

i could walk into one of my scrubs enclosures and pick out a nice 9ft snake and it wouldnt do anything....as soon as its out of its enclosurer its gets stressed and strikes like mad.

then again i could put my hand it my amazons tank and take it out and handle it fine....but then my yellow rats are extremely viv defensive....no striaght forward answer really mate. : victory:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Usually it varies between snakes. Not the actual species. You could get a viv defensive burm and one that isn't. There is no rule really.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Try an Afrock, they have a good rep :whistling2:

as WW said it doesnt really work like that, you could have a royal that strikes at anything that moves in the viv and then a burm that will just lay there when you go in the viv, its down to the individual snake.

ultimately if you want a large snake and you are worried about it being viv defensive its probably best you dont get a large snake atall.

if you insit on getting something get a boa: victory:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
get a boa. had 2 for 6 months and they never showed any aggresion in or out of the viv. class snakes:no1:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
get a boa. had 2 for 6 months and they never showed any aggresion in or out of the viv. class snakes:no1:
well lets just hope for your sake he doesnt get one that nails him striaght in the jugular : victory:

·
Registered
552 Posts
dont feed in the viv this reduces the likely hood of your snake becoming viv defensive. buy a snake from an early age, hold it in short bursts putting it back in and taking it out of viv. little and often. this gets the snake used to you coming into its viv. try to avoid strike feeding if at all possible (unless its the only way your snake will take food). but once again dont do this in viv. bci is the way to go.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
dont feed in the viv this reduces the likely hood of your snake becoming viv defensive. buy a snake from an early age, hold it in short bursts putting it back in and taking it out of viv. little and often. this gets the snake used to you coming into its viv. try to avoid strike feeding if at all possible (unless its the only way your snake will take food). but once again dont do this in viv. bci is the way to go.
Right can you please explain how you're going to take a retic which is in feeding mode out of the viv to feed and to get it back in?

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
do you think they would make a good first snake?
real slow groth rate if cb tame really well ,easy to care for and by time its 8ft+ you probz be another 5 years older,so not such a bad first snake juts bad reps really ,no worse than a burm IMO probz better starter in large snake sthan a burm aslong as cb

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
do you think they would make a good first snake?
Not really as the max size would be a bit too much for a newbie. As the post said the less defense LARGE snake and i found the green annie to be the less viv defensive and showed no intrest at all. But they grow slow so it all depense.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Right can you please explain how you're going to take a retic which is in eeding mode out of the viv to feed and to get it back in?

if you read my point properly its directed at getting a snake from young then feeding like this at a young age, when this is more easy. obviously a large retic is a different matter. basically my point is if you get a snake from young you can reduce the chances of it ending up viv defensive by what you do when its younger.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
and before you go on again. this is not an exact science. but ts worked with me and my surinames. bci. burms.
So if if i buy a baby retic and feed it out the viv from a baby then put it back by the time it's let's say 5ft it's not going to be viv defensive? :lol2: viv defensive and feeding response is not the same thing

·
Registered
683 Posts
real slow groth rate if cb tame really well ,easy to care for and by time its 8ft+ you probz be another 5 years older,so not such a bad first snake juts bad reps really ,no worse than a burm IMO probz better starter in large snake sthan a burm aslong as cb
Not really as the max size would be a bit too much for a newbie. As the post said the less defense LARGE snake and i found the green annie to be the less viv defensive and showed no intrest at all. But they grow slow so it all depense.
good to know guys. i learned something :2thumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts