Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok basically looking to get a Bearded Dragon and have decided to make my own viv as i wanted it custom...

I have started building the Viv and its almost done, have followed the polestyrene then grouting it method as i wanted to do something different, Anyway its almost finished and was just wanting to ask a few questions...

1. What are the max/min distances for a basking lamp, From where i have it set up at the moment it will be about 7" from the top of the rock, is this ok ? p.s im using a ceramic bulb if that makes any difference...

2. With the heat mat is it best to put it under the substrate or mount it on the wall as i have heard both are good by different people so want to clarify?

3. What size of heat mat am i best to get for size of viv(the viv is 30"x22"x18") ?

4. Am i best to get Mat Stat, Dim Stat, Temp Stat, mixture of the 2 ?

5 Finally is Wood Based Cat litter ok as a substrate?

basically im just asking all this so i can do it right the first time...

Kind Regards
Andy

p.s excuse any spelling mistakes, its 3:30 am and im worse for wear...

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
1. I wouldnt think the distance of the basking light made much difference as long as you get the right temps in the basking area. Depnding on the size of your beardies i would make sure they cant get near it though or you will have nasty burns on them.

2. In not using a heat mat yet as the weather is still warm enough in my house to get the right temps. I will put on one the back wall in winters to help creat night time heat.

3. You usually buy a heat mat that covers 1/3 of the bottom of the viv, im guessing this may also apply if the heat mat goes on the back wall instead of underneath the substrate. but i may be worng and someone whos already using this method of heating will give you, and me for when i need to use one, the correct way of doing this.

4. i use a dimmer with my spot light bulbs but i think with ceramic you use a pulse stat.

5. Ive never heard of anyone using the wood base cat litter on reps. I wouldnt think it would be that ideal seeing as its used for soaking up cat wee. I do use it in my cats litter trays and it doesnt clump as much as clay litter but it does still clump and the last thing you need is a impacted beardie. You can use wheat bran which is similar in texture only finer and doesnt cause compaction. costs around £1 a kilo, its what you gut load your crickets on too and you buy it in pet shops that sell horse products.

P.S. its even later now so i bet my spelling is worse then yours

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Thank you can go ahaed and fit it...

2. Ok another question now, lol is it ok to mount it on the side wall or does it need to be the back ?

3. ok so im looking to get the 11x17 then, Thanks

4. ok thats would be for the basking light, do i need any switch for the mat ??

5. Ill just stick with washed playsand then, Thanks

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
from what ive seen on photos the heat mat goes on the back wall. I wouldnt say you would need a stat for the mat seeing as they dont really give off that much heat and your reptiles isnt actually making any contact with it. Your best bet is to give it a try and see what your night time temps reach and if they go to high attach a mat stat. i wouldnt put your thermomemter too near the mat or you wont get a acurate reading of the actual air temp so sitck your thermometers on the sides of the viv.

If the beardie your hoping to get is only a baby i would stick in on kitchen roll until it gets larger. if your planning on getting a adult beardie you will need a larger viv but a 30inch long would i would think would do it until its around 5 months old.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hi.
the mat can go on the side but the area it will heat will be limited so back wall is best.
u want it to cover about half or two thirds of the viv...
I would have the heat light... [ceramic] then assumin thats in the corner have the heat mat just afterwrds say 4 inches from the side..a 18 inch mat would then take it to 22 inches with an 8 inch area not heated..sounds pretty good to me.
for the minute urdprolly only want the mat on at night to leep the temp from droppin [and even then it may not switch on atall right now] and in cooler months u could prolly leave it on all the time, but best to have both appliances on the stat [dunno whether dimmers are best for ceramics though... no harm anyway]
i reckon u would want the heatmat unplugged durin the day right now and hooked to the stat at night
and the ceramic on the stat durin the day and off at night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts