Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what has worked for you guys past and present......I'm looking at getting some more BD's(babies) as I would love some of the different colour morphs........

I have 2 currently in a 4x2x2 that are 10wks old and seem great in there :smile:.......but I don't another viv so will need to buy more but don't want to waste money on getting a smaller viv if 1 baby would be happy and thrive in something like a 4x2x2.......

What works well for you guys out there :)

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I tend to raise babies in 2' x 1's or 2' x 2's. I know people say that beardies are not sociable animals and are best off on their own, but introducing them into larger vivariums in pairs makes a huge difference to their "settling down time". On several occasions, I have put jeveniles into larger vivariums, and they have gone off their food, and nothing seems to get them to eat. As soon as I put two reluctant feeders together, both suddenly start eating again and become far more lively.

You could partition a 4' x 2' whilst your baby is still small, then open it up to full size, but just be aware that sometimes babies are reluctant to eat if they are housed individually.

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I raised my babies in 36 x 15 x 15s and then moved up to 48 x 15 x 15s at 6 weeks. If you were getting one that was 12 weeks+, I personally think that they would be fine going straight into a 4 x 2 x 2 although some people may disagree and think it's better to keep them in something smaller.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI guys

when I get some more I hope to get them quite young, maybe 6 weeks old or so as I like to get them young and bring them on etc :)

The 2 that I have now are both 10wks old (both citrus x orange morph) and are together in my 4x2x2.....it's pretty basic with just a rock/den at one end and a bit of jungle vine and at the warm end there is the basking log tunnel type thing and the floor is just lino......both seem to eat very well and seem to know now that when I kneel down in front of the viv with my little bag they know it's feeding time, as when the viv is opened they stare up at the bag as if to say...'come on release the damn crix dude' :lol2:

To sum up then guys am I better off getting a smaller viv and putting in a pair or trio of babies until they are bigger before transferring to their permanent home of something like a 4x2x2 viv:?

cheers

·
Premium Member
7,867 Posts
When i got mine, he was 8 weeks, he went straight into a 4'x2'x2.5' viv. Just use a 4' viv mate, it will be fine.

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
my 8 week old went straight into a 6x2x2 and was fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts