Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every1, im new to reptiles, n in a few weeks im gonna get my first leopard gecko. So im sorting the vivarium out now so I know it will be ready for when i get her. I was just wondering whether a background is needed on an all glass vivarium, because i read some where that if there isnt 1, the gecko will get scared and not eat.
If so could I use a 3D backgounr u put inside, because i want it to look as natural as possible?
Also what substate am i best off using for a baby leopard gecko?
Thanks in advance. :p

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Backgrounds are helpful to minimize stress,it's not absolute necessity but it's better if you provide him with one.Polystyrene pannels painted with solvent-free paint and covered with non-toxic varnish is what i use on 3 sides of the viv,and it's unexpensive :wink:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Kitchen towel is best 4 Babba's so I've been informed. We're researchin at mo with hope to get few leo's sn 2.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
yes id recomend kitchen towel bounty is best as it soaks up things better
and also stick back plastic can be used for a background aslong as you make sure its stuck down tight with no gaps for the rep to get stuck on!!!
manda xx

·
Registered
250 Posts
when i had my beardie in a glass one i used a desert background, he got really upset with it and wouldnt move at all and tried scratching to get out.

i think you should use a plain background to minimise stress and not give the animal the impression there is a vast area he can go :? try using card people i know say that works fine, just watch if your using a heat mat that it doesnt become a fire hazard!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks, think im gonna use 1 of the 3D backgrounds that r avalible, as i hear these also help with insulation

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
buy it offline, theyre often over priced in pet shops. at the pet shop i work the ones for fish tanks cost over £150! absolute rip off.

u can make ur own 3d backgrounds out of expanding foam, i was going to makea thread on this but i'll ask on here.

I'm after making a very large, (and i mean large) background for Don and i want to use this foam but got a few questions.

1] how long does though foam take to dry
2] how strong is it when dry
3] how well can it be painted
4] how long does the paint take to dry on it
5] how well will it stick to a large cardboard or cheap wood base if i want to mount it onto the wall.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Chelle,I don't think this sort of foam will be strong enough to resist a Bosc's claws and bulldozer behaviour,if you see what i mean.Backgrounds imitating rocks would not even resist,i'm afraid no background is the only solution with monitors.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
thorrshamri said:
Chelle,I don't think this sort of foam will be strong enough to resist a Bosc's claws and bulldozer behaviour,if you see what i mean.Backgrounds imitating rocks would not even resist,i'm afraid no background is the only solution with monitors.
It can do Thorr, if coated with paint and PVA glue :wink:
Chelle i know how to make the 3D backgrounds, the one your on about 8)

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I dont think she wants it as a backgroud for a viv. She wants it to make her bedroom wall look like the zoo enclosures, all rocky and mossy. :lol:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
AnthonyY said:
thorrshamri said:
It can do Thorr, if coated with paint and PVA glue :wink:
Chelle i know how to make the 3D backgrounds, the one your on about 8)
I'm with Thorr on this - AnthonyY I really doubt that paint and glue will help that much - one of the places I lived as a student had various expanding foam repair jobs and they couldn't withstand my claws!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
or plaster of paris and a few bandages and mesh type thing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts