Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Can anyone recomend a place to get mesh metal guards for for lights

in own built vivs.

My local rep centre sells small black sguare ones for £10 each. As i need 5 i thought i better try somewhere else.

Thanks,

Lucy x

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Get some chicken wire & bend it into shape, my local pet shop guy would't let me buy & expensive one & got his mate to make me one works just as well iv found :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haven't thought of that one, is chicken wire the kind of thing i'll find

at B & Q.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yeah B&Q should have it in stock.

Don't actually use chicken wire as thats the thin stuff with big hexagonal holes. It's too flimsy for a snake. They will just crush it.

You need the stuff with 6 - 10mm holes in it, that is made from straight runs of wire and not small wire twisted together.

I'd go with B & Q or a garden centre

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will wire not get hotter than a proper guard and therefore be more

harmful if the snake touches it ?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
The wire won't get hot enough to hurt your reptile, providing that you make it big enough to keep away from the very intense heat near the bulb. So no smaller than one you would buy.

If you want to make it cooler I suppose you could paint it white with some kind of non-toxic paint. Not sure if they do hammerite in white though. Just don't use anything that gives off nasty smells / fumes when the bulb is on full power.

Something like this you need:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GALVANISED-WI...35QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1269QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or for smalle snakes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GALVANISED-WI...58QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1269QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know it aint much cheaper than 5 @ £10, but at least you can make loads more with it, or share it with somebody else.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfect, Many thanks all

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i went to a garden centre and bought 3 bird feeders, if you buy fat ones they are really good, they need slightly adapting to fit the bulb holder in the hole at the top, they only cost £3 each.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Homebase/B&Q garden centres sell the 6mm (and larger) galvanised mesh in sheets for about £4 each.
You can 2 decent sized guards (big enough for 100w ceramics) from 1 sheet, so you could do all 5 for about £15 including screws and bits.

I make all mine from this stuff - dead easy to work with and really sturdy once screwed in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.