Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about doing something along the lines of a system to control a Vivarium [or many vivs] using a computer program and some hardware. This would be for my final year project for my Elec Engineering Degree.

Has anyone done anything like this or got any ideas?

Cheers :2thumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi I have thought about it, but don’t have the knowhow. I have used data loggers, to monitor temperature and humidity.
When you have done it I’d love the details.
If it helps this is my wish list
Multizone control and monitoring of temps and humidity.
Data logging.
Email notification of any problems.
Mobile phone app.
Web cam monitor

Maplins have a USB Experiment Interface Board
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42857
Could be a good starting point.
Good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just thinking this, one of my lecturer offers iPhone programming lecture, not sure if I would be able to attend though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That would be best thing ever, ability to set up laptop in the snakes room to control all the habitats. The only thing is there needs to be some kind of safety device to keep the vivs running at desired temps when the computer goes down.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
have to make a few and sell them on here ;)

just promise you dont use the cobra logo. lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have to make a few and sell them on here ;)

just promise you dont use the cobra logo. lol

Well it would be cool to put such a thing into production. Maybe the company that employs me because my project is so awesome will make it ^______^

A boy can dream...

Anyways, anyone got any more suggestions or wants?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll make sure I have a microprocessor that has all the data to run the basic essentials.
I would be concerned about computer crashes as well. but if you had a microprocessor running the basics, isn't that a controller with a PC interface? No bad thing but what would the PC be doing?
If it's just collecting data from the controller then look at making it bluetooth.
No I phone so if it's possible can you make it compatible with Nokia apps.
Again good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would be concerned about computer crashes as well. but if you had a microprocessor running the basics, isn't that a controller with a PC interface? No bad thing but what would the PC be doing?
If it's just collecting data from the controller then look at making it bluetooth.
No I phone so if it's possible can you make it compatible with Nokia apps.
Again good luck.
Well yes it would be a level of control from the PC [not Mac] ^_^ that would allow slight adjustments but the Micro would do most of the work.

I'm thinking of using a USB host chip that would also allow it to connect via Bluetooth on the USB connection.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Vivarium Habitat Enclosure Monitoring & Analytical Control System

VHEMACS

Just rolls off the tongue. :p

ps. Ill waive all royalty fees for a couple of the finished product. ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about Vivarium Habitat Control Project?:lol2:
I like this ^_^

Maybe:

Vivarium Data Collection & Control System
: VDCCS

Habitat Control & Data Logging System
: HCDLS

Habitat Sensory & Basic Control
: HSBC

:lol2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

I have decided to call the Project the Vivarium Monitoring & Analytical Control System (VMACS)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
ooh, so as I got the closest to the original name, do i win a prize? :D
/blatant sponge

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ooh, so as I got the closest to the original name, do i win a prize? :D
/blatant sponge
I can thank you on the project notes? :lol2:

What would you like? [no promises] :whistling2:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
ive always wanted to do this for my aquariums as i have 25 of them but i couldnt face it when i thourght of all the technical sh*t that it would involve best of look with your project il def be reading if you fully complet it
cant wait

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I had looked at doing this when I was doing my Elec Eng HNC but ended up having to do something at work. did end up getting quite a few notes down though.

Please keep us updated with this, I would love to see how it pans out.

Good luck

Tarron

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ive always wanted to do this for my aquariums as i have 25 of them but i couldnt face it when i thourght of all the technical sh*t that it would involve best of look with your project il def be reading if you fully complet it
cant wait
Well there is a lot of technical :censor: to be dealt with. And although this project isn't specifically catered to Aquariums, I endeavour to create a similar product for such a purpose.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts