Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been looking round this forum for a while now.

Just decided to make an account and am happy to say ill be getting my first Leopard Gecko at the end of the week!

I bought a vivarium, one of the glass kinds off a friend at a good price.

Its dimensions are 30" x 12" x 12".

The problem I have encountered is that I only got it with the fish tank cover on it.
I need one of the screen covers for my vivarium, wondering if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction for this.

I have found the perfect one on an american site, the screen cover is about 10 pounds, however the shipping is 30! I'm sure you all see my problem here ;).

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I noticed its your first leopard gecko so might be an idea to post what other equipment you are using and also check the care sheets for hints on housing and feeding.

I made a thread when i first got my leopard gecko so i thought i would post the link, If you can bear my ramblings theres lots of info and links in there.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/852960-newbie-gecko-owner.html

If you have any question just go ahead and ask in this thread, If i dont know the answer someone will and then i learn too :)

Watch out! Gecko ownership is addictive but so enjoyable!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exo Terra Liquid Crystal Thermometer
code: PT24552 £2.42£4.84Pending
Exo Terra Gecko DIsh
code: PT28101 £5.74£5.74Pending
Exo Terra Heatwave Desert Mat (M) 26cm x 28cm
code: PT20351 £13.72£13.72Pending
Zoo Med Repti Cage Carpet (29Gal)
code: 969701 £6.99£6.99Pending
Exo Terra Reptile Cave (Medium)
code: PT28521 £4.48£4.48Pending
Exo Terra Reptile Cave (Small)
code: PT28511 £3.54£3.54Pending
Swell Premium Sphagnum Moss 1ltr
code: FCUI8U. That's everything for the tank :), is that okay to suit my gecko?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
First thing order a Habistat Mat Stat from the place your getting it from (I know the company as i have used them). DONT let them say its fine without the thermostat. ITS NOT! You need that to adjust the temperture of the heatmat else you can risk burning your gecko if he doesnt move off it.

It looks okay but my maths is terrible :lol2:
What i mean is the heatmat should cover about 33% of the vivarium floor but no more.
I also recommend a dual probe digital thermometer as you need to keep a hot end of about 30-33 degrees and a cool end of 22-26 approximately.

Obviously these flutuate so 33 during the day at the hot end is fine but at night mine normally drops to 30-31 ish.
You'll have to play with your setup when its all connected to get it right as each vivarium is different.

I have a Vivoexotic Lx 24 inch. Which is 24*15*15 and is perfectly fine to house 2 geckos although i only have one at the moment.

One thing i bought by chance and recommend you get is F10 Vet Disinfectant as you will need that to clean the food bowls, Water bowls.

If you can in the future get hold of some lino (I did just today) although DONT throw the repti carpet out (I'll explain why). Repti carpet is fine if you gecko can judge distances and catch crickets without biting the carpet. Not to mention so easy to clean, Crickets dont get under it and you cut it to size wher ei find repti carpet is always just that little bit too small in every direction :/

Gary has a tendancy to miss and bite the carpet and then get stuck and its that distressing to watch i couldnt bear it any longer and got him some lino (My dad actually forgot and i made him drive 4 miles home and back to get it for me)

The repti carpet can be cleaned in a washing machine if needed although gecko faeces is moist but solid coming out and their urine is white and solid so you can just pick it out.

The reason i say dont throw the repti carpet away is if you live in a town like mine where even B&Q doesnt have anything other than self adhesive tiles then your a bit stuck for lino. Leopard geckos are addictive and if you have one on lino and decide to get another one at least you still have the repti carpet for a second vivarium already until you can get another lot of lino.

You had the right direction just one piece missing and a few adjustments. I am sure more exeprienced owners will be along to give advice as well but GOOD JOB on coming to ask before getting the gecko as just lately it seems stores just want to get the geckos out the door with little or even incorrect information given to the new owners.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

Or get that from there lol its the exact one i have as well after the komodo one blew up after just 2 days!

Just a hint make sure you always have enough money in the bank for spare parts for your geckos vivarium. Companies will replace faulty equipment but you have to send it back at your cost to be refunded later after they have tested it for 7-10 days.

I got caught with that and fortunatly had the money to get a new thermostat quick but i wont be caught like that again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really appreciating the help of you, thanks a lot, there is a local reptile shop and I will have a look at the end of the week for a thermostat for the heat mat, do I necceserily need a light for the tank? Thanks

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Leopard geckos dont need a light as such being nocturnal lizards and as they get enough from the natural sunlight if its a well lit room during the day its not required. They do not need a UV light despite it being said in a lot of places although reading the forums you may find people using them because they have a gecko with calcium defiency.

I do have a heat lamp in mine although not required but sometimes gary likes to bask at night but this requires you to buy a dimmer thermostat as well to control the temperture. I also dont leave it on over night. When i go to bed i turn it back to the heatmat and switch off the light.

I will be thinking about getting a red glass light (if i can find one that doesnt produce heat) just for a view light as Leopard geckos really only need the under belly heating for digestion and not the over head heating. With a red glass blub they cant see the light so it doesnt disturb them with night viewing either.

Some people prefer the heatlamps over the heatmat as geckos can as i said bask on rocks (Mine sits on the same medium hide you have ordered when he wants to bask) but there is no need for the lamps if you have the heatmat.

On a note about calcium defiency you need to dust your cricket with calcium dust and a viatmin supplement. At present i use Calcium dust mon-fri and neutrabol at weekends so its easy to remember. Also you can dust the food for crickets etc with whatcever you would be dusting them with 24 hours later to feed. Again i would read though the thread i linked at the begining as theres information in there on gutloading crickets and dusting too :)

Always a pleasure to help a fellow new gecko owner as i expended a lot more than i needed to with lack of/wrong information given before i signed up to these forums.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right I will be flickin back to this thread over the next few days! Thanks for the help and keep in touch!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered my habistat mat thermostat and some calcium dust with D3 :), Can't wait to get my stuff and pick him up now hehe!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I know exactly how you feel mate.
I lucked out as it happens as i said in other posts and with thanks to the forum members i found out i own a Blazing Blizzard which i paid £35 for and should have been probably nearer to £60-80.

I had to get there quick though as there was only two left when i got there but hes worth every bit of it :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't fully looked into all the morphs yet, I think i'm just going to buy a male and female of whatever they have in stock XD, Excited man! haha

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would suggest sticking with one to start with.
I remember Lovlight telling me housing a female and a male together can be a bad idea and you need the second vivarium for a second gecko.
The only time that they should be housed together is during the breeding season.

I may be incorrect in this but it is what i understand from the postings and advice i was given.

I plan myself to get another (Hopefully Blazing Blizzard) in about a years time (next breeding season) but i need to get the set up first.

As a subnote :-
Also these days funds are low with the economy the way it is so you also may want to look into dubias roach and mealworm colonies as its free food (Damn i love Lovlight for her suggestions so if you see her posting take notice!!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh I didn't know that, I will just get a male to start with then (bigger the better haha), and I use to breed meal worms when I had my mantis.
I did read up however you shouldn't feed them exclusively on meal worms? is this correct?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts