Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I brought a branch from my local reptile shop and added it into my boas vivarium. I then noticed after a few days some bugs climbing up the glass after misting and something that looks like saw dust. Pics underneath. My questions are whats are these bugs? Are they harmful to my boa and how do I get rid of them? Any help would be great thank you
Wood Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Brick

Wood Flooring Floor Road surface Insect

Brown Insect Arthropod Pollinator Wood

Brown Wood Plant Grass Groundcover

·
Registered
10,058 Posts
Looks more like a wood mite than snake mite. Snake mites ten to be rounder and black / dark grey or brown than red or white... Hopefully others will chime in and confirm or deny my identification.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Suspect they aren’t harmful to the boa, but if you see saw dust as well, then they could be slowly chomping down the bark.

Ask advice from the shop, if you think they introduced it. Could try baking or soaking the branch to eliminate unwanted bugs.

inclined to just spray and then hand pick them off, if they are already in there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I removed all the log branches last night, will bake them over the weekend. Was scared I had termites at first. I always notice very small white bugs that jump underneath the substrate, could these be springtails?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts