Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be better posted in the Habitat section. I have been given a shed, just a standard garden shed. I am considering lighting it, insulating it (although not heavily), landscaping it (sandy soil, rocks, logs, branches and plants, and having a walk-in vivarium for some Bullsnakes and maybe Black ratsnakes. These will cohabit perfectly well (often sharing hibernacula in the field), so I do not want a debate on that, as it may only be monospecific.

However, would not mind getting thoughts on this from people, particularly on security etc. This is one of several options

·
Registered
597 Posts
love the idea not sure on snakes being together but thats lack of knowledge on my part.
as for security/ retaining heat i would add little porch area so you go through one door shut it then through other door.
if you do it on inside you can have quick check of things without disturbing the snakes.
def want to see pics if you do it though sounds great.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sounds like an awesome idea and I for one would love to see some photos when its done :2thumb:

Just remember the less you insulate it the more it will cost to heat, so maybe a false economy to skimp on insulation?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Sounds like an awesome idea and I for one would love to see some photos when its done :2thumb:

Just remember the less you insulate it the more it will cost to heat, so maybe a false economy to skimp on insulation?
plus insulation helps prevent it over heating in the hot summers we rarely have...

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
plus insulation helps prevent it over heating in the hot summers we rarely have...

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk
It doesn't need to be very hot. I'm certainly glad I insulated my shed pretty well. On clear summer days, it used to get really hot in there before, even when the ambient temp was no more than 20 C or so.

Reactions: DW2013

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sounds like a cool idea. I love bull snakes, used to have a big female. Can't think why I sold her now, one of the best snakes I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
This might be better posted in the Habitat section. I have been given a shed, just a standard garden shed. I am considering lighting it, insulating it (although not heavily), landscaping it (sandy soil, rocks, logs, branches and plants, and having a walk-in vivarium for some Bullsnakes and maybe Black ratsnakes. These will cohabit perfectly well (often sharing hibernacula in the field), so I do not want a debate on that, as it may only be monospecific.

However, would not mind getting thoughts on this from people, particularly on security etc. This is one of several options
Hi mate, long time no see.

You've been in my shed. I didn't insulate at all before I filled it with reps. What an expensive, titanic mother of a balls up that was. I should have insulated it totally. Although it is shaded by trees it still gets too hot in the summer, however it is much better now that I have 2 thirds insulated it with double silver backed thermo board. Basically the better insulated it is the less the temperature inside will be effected by temperatures outside, whether they be hot or cold. I can't comment on security really. Any lock could be broken off a shed. I suppose an alarm would be good as it would alert you. Large fierce dog?

Your bull snake black ratsnake habitat sounds very exciting. I don't know how you'd create a walk in habitat though. You'd have to create a way of keeping them away from the door. It might be easier just to build 2 or 3 really big vivs running the length of the shed, i say that as it might be difficult to utilize the height in the shed and this would effectively be wasted.

I have reps that require hotter temps than snakes and this raises the temperature in my shed, and I'm thinking of getting a small air conditioning unit to stabilize the temps. You probably wont need one for what you're planning.

good luck

if you do it post update pic's please.

Andy

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Double door ie airlock, open one door step in, close door, open second door etc, stops snakes making a bid for freedom & being trapped/injured in a hastily slammed door
What you said:lol2:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for their considered replies. Andy, yes indeed mate. Perhaps we should sort some sort of meeting out soon?

I have been givin the door issue some though. An internal screen door/porch (so mesh) or external porch are the issues. The whole space inside, bar some blocking off of key nooks and crannies, would be landscaped and planted, allowing them to move about as they wished. I would increase the amount of natural light with a perspex panel in the roof and maybe some bulbs. There would be a basking spot towards the rear. Hibernacula/egg deposition sites would be brick built boxes with rocks on top, filled with loamy soil/sand etc.

There would also be a sizeable pond in there. I had Rom Whittaker's King Cobra enclosure in mind, where you can sit in with the snakes and watch their behaviour.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Hi mate, long time no see.

You've been in my shed. I didn't insulate at all before I filled it with reps. What an expensive, titanic mother of a balls up that was. I should have insulated it totally. Although it is shaded by trees it still gets too hot in the summer, however it is much better now that I have 2 thirds insulated it with double silver backed thermo board. Basically the better insulated it is the less the temperature inside will be effected by temperatures outside, whether they be hot or cold. I can't comment on security really. Any lock could be broken off a shed. I suppose an alarm would be good as it would alert you. Large fierce dog?

Your bull snake black ratsnake habitat sounds very exciting. I don't know how you'd create a walk in habitat though. You'd have to create a way of keeping them away from the door. It might be easier just to build 2 or 3 really big vivs running the length of the shed, i say that as it might be difficult to utilize the height in the shed and this would effectively be wasted.

I have reps that require hotter temps than snakes and this raises the temperature in my shed, and I'm thinking of getting a small air conditioning unit to stabilize the temps. You probably wont need one for what you're planning.

good luck

if you do it post update pic's please.

Andy
Yes, one of the reasons I chose these species for it was the (lessened) seasonal fluctuation would broadly mimic parts of their range. Also considered putting Fox snakes out there too, but they are a bit smaller.

Feeding time will be fun!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yes, one of the reasons I chose these species for it was the (lessened) seasonal fluctuation would broadly mimic parts of their range. Also considered putting Fox snakes out there too, but they are a bit smaller.

Feeding time will be fun!
Actually, the more I think about your idea the more I like it.

Go on mate, do it, it'll be worth it. I want to see pictures. In fact if you do it I'll visit you and bring some celebratory beers. :2thumb:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice idea

Actually, the more I think about your idea the more I like it.

Go on mate, do it, it'll be worth it. I want to see pictures. In fact if you do it I'll visit you and bring some celebratory beers. :2thumb:
Well, I have been given the go ahead to do this. The first job will be to construct the concrete shed base, and it is going to take a little bit of time to get that done! However, a monitor viv build might get in the way first! In fact, it might be a little winter project.

You are more than welcome to come over and see it when it is done (Pepsi Max rather than beer, if you're buying:mf_dribble:)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Pepsi Max it is then! :2thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts