Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aquarium has been going steadily for almost a year now. We noticed a lot of snails that weren't going away even though we have quite a large yoyo loach that's been around since the beginning.

apparently our loach is a vegetarian. That won't do. we got another yoyo loach(now knowing that they prefer to live in groups). perfect. we started seeing small empty snail shells that we soon scooped out.

now the new loach is dead, barely 3 days later.

Could this because that these snails are, in fact, wandering snails, or could it be another reason? I didn't see anything wrong until now and was away when the fish passed.

what can I do? I've tried a lettuce trap and it seems to be working, but slowly. I'm cutting back on feeding as well.

thanks

-Clive

(sorry for the possibly sloppy typing, my dominant hand is a mess from a knife sharpening mishap)

·
Registered
823 Posts
have you got a pic of the snails? it could of just been a dodgey loach. try putting a few slices of cucumber in at night. then as soon as you wake up there should be snails all over it. then just whip it out. it takes a while but depending on the amount of snails, it can be effective.
george.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you got a pic of the snails? it could of just been a dodgey loach. try putting a few slices of cucumber in at night. then as soon as you wake up there should be snails all over it. then just whip it out. it takes a while but depending on the amount of snails, it can be effective.
george.
so, funny story. it turns out that the dead fish that I plucked out was actually a badly nibbled swordtail(no idea how I made that mistake). The loach is still alive and munching snails.

I'm still confused about the larger loach being a vegetarian. anyone see anything like this before?
thanks,
-clive

1 - 3 of 3 Posts