Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please point me to the right place, spoke to someone before about getting one have researched and am now ready to take on my first beautiful baby skunk

J

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just a word tho.. there are no babies about at this time of year.. the breeding season is spring.. although there are sometimes litters in the autumn, i've not heard of any so far..

N

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hey, don't know where you're based but they have some at 'pet stop' at the japanese water gardens in toton/stapleford (nottinghamshire) if thats any good?

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Are skunks not allowed to be de-scented now?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hey, don't know where you're based but they have some at 'pet stop' at the japanese water gardens in toton/stapleford (nottinghamshire) if thats any good?
They do? Crickey they have moved on a bit. Do you know what price they are asking? Just an idle enquiry, I'm not intending getting one... she adds hastily in case Mal reads this lol!

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
Are skunks not allowed to be de-scented now?
No it's not legal anymore, part of the new Animal Welfare Act has outlawed the descenting of skunks, classing it as a 'mutilation' the same as tail docking and ear cropping.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
the ones at one stop aren't for sale...

they're a breeding setup apparently.. not for actual sale.
neither are the pygmy mongeese. or some of the snakes lol

sami

·
Registered
250 Posts
They do? Crickey they have moved on a bit. Do you know what price they are asking? Just an idle enquiry, I'm not intending getting one... she adds hastily in case Mal reads this lol!
they want 650 each they have pure white and normal colour

·
Registered
250 Posts
No it's not legal anymore, part of the new Animal Welfare Act has outlawed the descenting of skunks, classing it as a 'mutilation' the same as tail docking and ear cropping.
the skunks at japanese water gardens,staff just told me its still legal and they do all theres thats what i was told anyway mind you they refused to sell me 2 female and 1 male mice because of new laws or something thought it was a joke

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
They are obviosuly either blissfully ignorant of the changes tot he law since the AWa was introduced or they ae just clueless!!

It is illegal now and falls inder the heading of a prohibited procedure which falls under a sub category of a unecessary mutilation. (AWA 2007, section 5, sub catagory (3))

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yes, as i think we mentioned already?

i just picked up one of them for someone actually.. she is sat on my lap snoozing at the moment :)

Nerys

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Awww bless, how sweet :) :) Who's the lucky keper to be then chuck??

There are a couple of people on here with skunks already Jon - Nerys being one of them, Pendlehog, Fixx and Loulou too - lots of pics knocking about :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
skunks

Hey, sorry for the ridiculous delay! I'm new to this. is there anyway we can set an alert so you can see which threads you've posted on and if there has been a reply?? Anyway, the place at the Japanese water gardens is a new independent shop thats not long opened, it seems pretty good and they have some good reps at decent prices too. As for the skunks I think they're trying to set up a breeding program, they have dwarf mongooses (mongeese??) too.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Mmm be interesting to talk to them about the descenting issue then...

whats their location, i am in mansfield this weekend..

N

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
Hey, sorry for the ridiculous delay! I'm new to this. is there anyway we can set an alert so you can see which threads you've posted on and if there has been a reply?? Anyway, the place at the Japanese water gardens is a new independent shop thats not long opened, it seems pretty good and they have some good reps at decent prices too. As for the skunks I think they're trying to set up a breeding program, they have dwarf mongooses (mongeese??) too.
Hmmm dwarf mongeese....they are on my wishlist, what are they asking for them?

And this thread needs a picture of a skunk, so here you go:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
suprised he has any left! i thought he was asking £550 for them earlier in the year, so if he is doing one for 500 thats not bad

unless he had an autumn litter that is

N

1 - 20 of 39 Posts