Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to spiders, my only invert experience is Idolomantis Diabolica and Pterinochilus Murinus (Which died on me and has taken me ages to try again).
Anyway I have trawled Google up and down and can't seem to find any true spiders that I can say 'I like the look of that, I want it'. Well the red ladybird spider is definitely eye catching, if you happen to have a magnifying glass!
What I'm getting at is do you of you know of a true spider to recommend for a beginner and more importantly where I can find one for sale.
Thanks.

·
Registered
33,051 Posts
Hi I'm new to spiders, my only invert experience is Idolomantis Diabolica and Pterinochilus Murinus (Which died on me and has taken me ages to try again).
Anyway I have trawled Google up and down and can't seem to find any true spiders that I can say 'I like the look of that, I want it'. Well the red ladybird spider is definitely eye catching, if you happen to have a magnifying glass!
What I'm getting at is do you of you know of a true spider to recommend for a beginner and more importantly where I can find one for sale.
Thanks.
bugzuk, martin goss, metamorphosis, virginia cheeseman & (sometimes) spider shop sell trues. but be warned- unlike t's, trues don't live very long, with the possible exception of huntsmen which can live a couple of years or so.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bugzuk, martin goss, metamorphosis, virginia cheeseman & (sometimes) spider shop sell trues. but be warned- unlike t's, trues don't live very long, with the possible exception of huntsmen which can live a couple of years or so.
Thanks, I have scoped out all but metamorphosis (which I just looked at now, no true's). So far just the red ladybird spider is on my radar. :neutral:

·
Registered
33,051 Posts
Thanks, I have scoped out all but metamorphosis (which I just looked at now, no true's). So far just the red ladybird spider is on my radar. :neutral:
some of the tropical jumpers are amazing- they have colours to rival tropical birds/fish/lizards, & some grow to 1" span or so. some people here breed & sell them- go in the classifieds & post a 'wanted' thread, & someone who has them should reply. but as i pointed out, only the huntsmen tend to live longer than a year.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Thanks.
How about, for a tenner, one of these?

Madagascar Fishing Spider (Viridasius species) Two left for £9.99 each from Virginia Cheesman.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about, for a tenner, one of these?

Madagascar Fishing Spider (Viridasius species) Two left for £9.99 each from Virginia Cheesman.
I thought about it but I can't find much info about keeping them

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Common Name: Madagascar Fishing Spider
Scientific Name: Viridasius species

Size: Adult
Food: Crickets, cockroaches, moths, other bugs

Long legged, fast moving, very pretty spiders. Easy to keep in a plastic jar or tank, with a little damp moss. They build a silken tunnel to hide in.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have a 20cm cube that's live planted. I'm trying to find something suitable for that size.
If I had a bigger setup I would have gone for a giant green huntsman which I found today.
Thanks for your replies :)

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
You could do a lot worse than one of these. Macrothele Gigas aka Japanese funnel web. This is my girl and I love her to bits. Fantastic spiders.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
Well I have a 20cm cube that's live planted. I'm trying to find something suitable for that size.
If I had a bigger setup I would have gone for a giant green huntsman which I found today.
Thanks for your replies :)
Didn't see this. Although it'll be suitable for a good while.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
Reactions: Mr Mister

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking I'll have to get a bigger setup. What size for a giant green huntsman is suitable?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bought the giant green huntsman for £23. Pretty chuffed. Out to get another setup tomorrow though.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Bought the giant green huntsman for £23. Pretty chuffed. Out to get another setup tomorrow though.
The sweet jar is a good cheap option. You can glue some cork bark or whatever you like to one side of it, you can vent it with a drill or a solder gun. You can make it look a nice set up in about half an hour. Suffice to say these are super fast, so please make sure you have catch cups etc prepared for when you get ready to put it in.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts