Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did pathos kill my two Ceratophrys cornuta??
in another thread ive been planning to breed my tiger legged monkey frogs it was suggested i put in some pothos, i done a little reading and was concerned because it said it was irritant to the skin and poisons if ingested, after asking about it alot of people said they had used it and had no problem. i got loads more than i needed so decided to put it in with my Ceratophrys cornuta i lost one Sunday last week and realized the thermostat had given up so i put it down to that being the reason my female passed on then Thursday this week my male died in his tank, heater still working fine and every thing.

ive have changed nothing in the care of the frogs at all the only thing i have done different in the tank or for the frogs was add the plant.
does any one else think this could have been the cause? i would like to get to the cause so i can make sure it does not happen again.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I use pothos in all my treefrog vivs and a lot of the phyllomedusa actually use it to wrap the eggs in and have never lost any frogs from it so i would say this is not the course of the deaths

Richie

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use pothos in all my treefrog vivs and a lot of the phyllomedusa actually use it to wrap the eggs in and have never lost any frogs from it so i would say this is not the course of the deaths

Richie
the only reason i asked is because the frogs were not tree frogs and buried them selves in the substrate the plant was in and the frogs were perfectly healthy and just seemed to suddenly die a week after the plant entered the tank i have changed nothing else with the care of the frog.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have also used it in with cranwelli, marine toads and other ground dwelling amphibians simply because its so tough and can withstand the abuse still never had any problems but i can see where you are coming from only real way to tell i suppose would be to take them to a vet and get them examined i suppose

where did you get the pothos from

Richie

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
As Richie says, maybe examine WHERE the pothos came from? It may well have had pesticides on it, or even have been a vector for some form of pathogen. Did you rinse it very thoroughly and completely remove the compost it came in from the roots etc to ensure no fertilisers got in with it?

When I use pothos in a viv, I only use cuttings off a plant I bought a while back, and never had any problems at all.

Ade

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were sent bare rooted from junglepod.co.uk no I didn't think to wash them

·
Registered
447 Posts
I reckon the plants could be the cause if not washed properly as they could of been carrying anything which as an effect would infect your frogs health, so sorry to hear this.

thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
Surely its more likely that the heater overheated after the thermostat broke?
A frog will not die one week and another die another in perfect health over heat unless the heat was broke over this period which i doubt it was. Probably a day or 2 max which would not cause any frog to die. a lill stress ''yes''.

·
Super Moderator
7,034 Posts
He has already said that the thermostat broke.If they had been poisoned the animals would have died within a very short time of each other.Pothos is fine as a rule I have used it many times.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Surely its more likely that the heater overheated after the thermostat broke?
no the thermostat broke and wont turn the heater on so it wasnt turning the heater on

·
Registered
447 Posts
He has already said that the thermostat broke.If they had been poisoned the animals would have died within a very short time of each other.Pothos is fine as a rule I have used it many times.
And they did die shortly after one another, The frogs are not going to die cause the thermostat broke.

thanks

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And they did die shortly after one another, The frogs are not going to die cause the thermostat broke.

thanks
So your saying they could live with out the heater?? I don't think so

1 - 17 of 17 Posts