Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

One of my baby boas I mentioned before died. I'm just wondering why this happened? I saw some of Inclusion Body Disease on her but my VET don't confirm my opinion. He said the boa was lethargic because of going 1 month without a meal. The boa had some symptoms like stargazing (head straight upward) and she couldn't get up when upside down

The VET told me that if it's IBD it should be with another signs including contracting muscles in a same direction (I didn't know if it's true or not) but my snake wasn't this way. Her muscles was just alright and was in myonicity in all directions

Fortunately she was in quarantine room and there's no chance of spreading IBD (if there's any) to my other snakes

What's your opinions? Was it IBD or not? what else would it be?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hello

One of my baby boas I mentioned before died. I'm just wondering why this happened? I saw some of Inclusion Body Disease on her but my VET don't confirm my opinion. He said the boa was lethargic because of going 1 month without a meal. The boa had some symptoms like stargazing (head straight upward) and she couldn't get up when upside down

The VET told me that if it's IBD it should be with another signs including contracting muscles in a same direction (I didn't know if it's true or not) but my snake wasn't this way. Her muscles was just alright and was in myonicity in all directions

Fortunately she was in quarantine room and there's no chance of spreading IBD (if there's any) to my other snakes

could be lots of things,neuro problems,organ failure,ec,etc.Without a pm you will never know

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Hello

The only way of confirming IBD is a positive test from a post mortem. A negative test is not definitive - it just means it wasnt found, and should be regarded as inconclusive.

The bit in bold - unless your quarantine area is a separate outbuilding of clinical grade, with separate scrub / change area, you cannot guarantee against speading IBD. Quarantine is not a separate room - it is complete and total separation.

Did you have a PM done?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only way of confirming IBD is a positive test from a post mortem. A negative test is not definitive - it just means it wasnt found, and should be regarded as inconclusive.

The bit in bold - unless your quarantine area is a separate outbuilding of clinical grade, with separate scrub / change area, you cannot guarantee against speading IBD. Quarantine is not a separate room - it is complete and total separation.

Did you have a PM done?
I didn't but she was in s separate building (I'm working in a VET clinic)

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Hello

Could be anything, nobody can doing anything but speculate on the info provided. You didn't get a pm so you'll never know...

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I didn't but she was in s separate building (I'm working in a VET clinic)
Could you not get a PM done at your vets? Or have you disposed of the body already?

In the case of suspected IBD, I would definitely want to get some results for the sake of my other animals, and my own sanity.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could you not get a PM done at your vets? Or have you disposed of the body already?

In the case of suspected IBD, I would definitely want to get some results for the sake of my other animals, and my own sanity.
Unfortunately I've disposed it. I wish I didn't

What should I do now?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Unfortunately I've disposed it. I wish I didn't
Hmm. Then, there's not a great deal you can do now, other than isolate your remaining animals - nothing in, nothing out - for a considerable period of time.

IBD can have a dormant period of some years in boids. Pythons display it much earlier, however.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm. Then, there's not a great deal you can do now, other than isolate your remaining animals - nothing in, nothing out - for a considerable period of time.

IBD can have a dormant period of some years in boids. Pythons display it much earlier, however.
How should I clear up myself?

Can I use the cage again? Or I should toss it all out?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
How should I clear up myself?

Can I use the cage again? Or I should toss it all out?
Do you mean give yourself / your animals the all clear? Well, you can have tests done for IBD on live animals, but again, a negative test does mean they are definitely clear - it just means IBD wasn't found. If you work in a vets, I'd speak to your vet for further advice.

I don't know if you breed or sell animals, but if you do, from an ethical point of view, I would knock this on the head for a minimum of 12months. I would also not buy any more animals in this time - nothing in or out for 12months. Monitor the animals you have closely in this time, and again, speak to your vet about tests etc.

Regarding the viv from the dead animal - I'd toss it out to be honest, again, for my own sanity more than anything else.

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
I would seriously doubt it was IBD, there are many, many things that cause the same symptoms, IBD is thrown around a lot at the first sign of star gazing, which could be any neurological issue caused from anything from too much heat, mite treatments, air freshners, deodorants in the same room, any form of cleaning chemical, organ issues, a knock or blow to the head etc etc.

However when it is suspected it is always worth getting a pm done, since this isn't possible now, i would still bin the cage and equipment that the boa was in. If it was well away from the others, and you quarantined successfully, then that is all you can do.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There was a post not long ago saying there is now a test that can be done for ibd with a blood test on live animals. I never followed the post up but may be worth having a look at to see if or where it is available. Sorry to hear about your snake.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I'd try not to worry too much. Just keep an eye on the others for any symptoms such as recurring R.I's or the usual starglazing etc.

I think anyone who keeps Boa's has to recognise that all animals they have are potential carriers, although perfect quaranteen is almost impossible to achieve good hygiene practices will reduce the risks of cross infection.
Although im not 100% certain im pretty sure ibd isnt as contagious as some people believe, im not even sure the route of transmission has been 100% identified although i do believe it to be blood born or through bodily discharges.

As a perfectly healthy appearing boa can carry the illness and there are many other possible causes of the symptoms you saw in your animal i wouldnt let it effect any future breeding plans and with a bit of common sense carry on as normal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts