Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is the right section but i have a wasps nest in the loft/roof... i can see them going into a gap just under the guttering outside and theres loads going in out in out all day long.
do i need a proffesional or is there something i can do myself? A reppelant, or spray, or smoke??? Or will they all just attack me :lol2:
Thanks in advance :notworthy::2thumb:

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
A nest of angry wasps isn't summat I'd be too keen on dealing with personally.

You can get an exterminator out to spray the nest and kill all the wasps. Or if you can bear with them for the summer, you could just leave them alone and then remove the nest once all the wasps have died off around October time. They don't generally reuse old nests, but a queen will sometimes hibernate in there over winter, ready to start a new wasp colony in spring.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
if u want to remove it, spray with kerosene at night, should kill them

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A nest of angry wasps isn't summat I'd be too keen on dealing with personally.

You can get an exterminator out to spray the nest and kill all the wasps. Or if you can bear with them for the summer, you could just leave them alone and then remove the nest once all the wasps have died off around October time. They don't generally reuse old nests, but a queen will sometimes hibernate in there over winter, ready to start a new wasp colony in spring.

I would happily leave them be but the nest is right over the back door, so cant really leave it open as i dont want a house full of them. And i leave the door open for the dog ect, Hmmm .... x

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
We had one of those, and the council wanted a wad of money to sort it in six weeks....
My wife got a pair of wellies on and a couple of pairs of my overalls,,, All taped up.. Welding gauntlets (taped around the sleeve) a cowboy hat with a net curtain over it and tapped up.... She got Joels super soaker and filled it with thick bleach and a can of raid,,,, Stuck the pumped up super soaker in the nest and fired spraying any that made it out.... Killed the bloody lot.... I was in work when all this went on..... What a woman....

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We had one of those, and the council wanted a wad of money to sort it in six weeks....
My wife got a pair of wellies on and a couple of pairs of my overalls,,, All taped up.. Welding gauntlets (taped around the sleeve) a cowboy hat with a net curtain over it and tapped up.... She got Joels super soaker and filled it with thick bleach and a can of raid,,,, Stuck the pumped up super soaker in the nest and fired spraying any that made it out.... Killed the bloody lot.... I was in work when all this went on..... What a woman....

OMG she sounds like Super Woman :gasp::notworthy: Why do you live so far...:lol2:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I tend to block off the entry points, the theory being that if they can't get in or out they will soon starve to death. If you can fabricate some sort of suit like morelia's wife did, you can get out there and really deal with the problem provided the nest is sufficiently exposed.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Don't kill them, these animals are dying out as it is! Get them removed by professionals
do they really relocate them?

I tend to block off the entry points, the theory being that if they can't get in or out they will soon starve to death. If you can fabricate some sort of suit like morelia's wife did, you can get out there and really deal with the problem provided the nest is sufficiently exposed.
thats cruel and unnecessary

Wont they fly out and attack?
if you spray fast no

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't kill them, these animals are dying out as it is! Get them removed by professionals
Would you like to come and remove them, Them exterminators cost a fortune, I have a young son, dog and my pregnant self to protect from getting stung ect, if one gets trod on so close to the nest they could attack, And im not risking that while i save up :lol2:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bees are in the same boat, but i'm thinking from past years, i remember as a kid that wasp were everywhere, but now it's fairly rare to see them
I have loads of bees and wasps in the garden, Im feeling generous, you can have the wasps nest ;) colection only

·
Banned
6 Posts
Would you like to come and remove them, Them exterminators cost a fortune, I have a young son, dog and my pregnant self to protect from getting stung ect, if one gets trod on so close to the nest they could attack, And im not risking that while i save up :lol2:
Not a chance! I'm not a huge fan of them! I just hate to think of anything getting killed because it's close to humans! That's the reason this planet loses so many animals all over the world

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I'd just phone the council and get it done by someone who knows how to do it safely and professionally.

All this talk of Kerosene and spraying this and that...no thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts