Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
The guy who does Watchdog has just been on "The One Show"asking if anyone has had a problem with a pet they've bought at PaH to get in touch, following complaints about animals being kept in appalling conditions! :gasp:

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, not now - forgot to take that out the heading and you can't change headings after you've posted!! :blush:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
About time they need looking it to some of the reptiles living conditions ive seen are appalling.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Its coming up to the Pets at Home now section.

Utterly disgusted at the t*** thats on about the home alarm systems at the moment, what a total :censor:

Reactions: Kat91

·
Registered
727 Posts
watching it now.

When i was in pah the other month when i was getting a refund as my fish died within a week, i was looking at the other fish and one of the tanks allmost all the fish had white spot and in another taken next to it one had fungus on its face. No notice on the tanks saying they were under treatment or not for sale. So i mentioned it to the mamber of staff but dont know if they did anything about it.

Also when i got my fish they gave me the bit of paper with boxes ticked saying they explained all the things on the list but they didnt eventhough they ticked the boxes. I know it anyway but they never asked if i did.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Well i was expecting worse i must be honest :/

Reactions: PrincessBlondie

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Now I would never buy animals from the shop or ask their staff for advice (that's what you lovely lot are for ;) ) because I would rather ask people that I know have the knowledge and experience. Saying that, they should employ people that have the expertise to give correct and appropriate advice - especially if animals are being sold.

They've turned friends (who have completed animal related courses) of mine down for jobs because they have too much knowledge and will therefore argue against management over care etc.

I agree that in some of the branches there are animals kept in awful conditions and some incompetent/rude staff, but every branch shouldn't be tarnished with the same brush. Animal welfare needs to be improved in some branches as does staff training (I've seen some of their 'tests' and even the multiple choice answers are wrong!) I think they need serious guidance from qualified and respected experts/vets regarding housing/nutrition etc and get their act together. Although I understand why many people dislike the shop it's a big employer and could become a big ally for us when it comes to the APA etc.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Over 200 complaints came in apparently after they asked for people to contact them during "The One Show".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pah Bristol

Decided to pop into the local Pets at home, to have a look at their reptiles. Stuck to one of the vivs was sheet of paper with "our reptile keeper" details. Had run out of the shop snorting with laughter when I read his "qualifications"!!!

"my experience"

"I have qualifications in animals"

How general can you be???

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
My local pets at home is decent think it might be there flagship store but they got a 10,000 litre marine Fishtank and very large green. Tree monitor and Cham enclosures most there staff are pretty knowledgable and I've seen them say nothing smaller then 4ft for a beardie and u can't buy animals the same day as a set up , I didn't catch show on tv tho I was out the only thing is say about pets at home is being such a big company staff are probably less vetted then a small local business and Obviosly have young part time workers Who may not have much knowledge in animal are just there as to them it's a part time job like say working in tesco

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Decided to pop into the local Pets at home, to have a look at their reptiles. Stuck to one of the vivs was sheet of paper with "our reptile keeper" details. Had run out of the shop snorting with laughter when I read his "qualifications"!!!

"my experience"

"I have qualifications in animals"

How general can you be???
Spoke to the 'Reptile Expert' in one of the branches. His experience was owning a leopard gecko and a crested gecko (which he lost down the sofa and consequently died...) even I'm more of an 'expert' than him!!! :devil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spoke to the 'Reptile Expert' in one of the branches. His experience was owning a leopard gecko and a crested gecko (which he lost down the sofa and consequently died...) even I'm more of an 'expert' than him!!! :devil:
Our "expert" owns a dog, beardy and a rabbit I think.

My small collection
2 beardies, 1 rankin, 3 Leo's, 1 7ft Bredli python, 3 corns, 1 albino garter, 3 whites frogs, 1 fbt, 2 anoles, 2 white line geckos, (spiders) 1 obt, 1 Malaysian trap door, 2 grammastola, 1 p. regalis, 1 Brazilian black, 1 Brazilian white knee, 1 chili beautiful, 1 stout legged baboon, 1 emperor scorpion, 9 cresteds.

3 palm gecko eggs and 2 Leo eggs...

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
That's a beast of a collection!!

It's not that I think owning loads of animals makes you an 'expert' but he seems to be an expert in the quickest way to kill a pet :/ was not impressed and have since boycotted and complained about that particular branch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thankyou, I did forget the 2 agamas though.

I'm currently doing my BTEC Level 3 extended animal management course... Do you think I'll be over qualified to work in PaH???

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.