Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Viv Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My friend's Chinese water dragon died recently due to getting trapped behind the water fall and staying in the cold water too long. Was alive when he was found but died soon afterwards.

My friend has now asked me to post this question on here:-

Can he heat the water pool at the bottom of the viv with a small Tropical Aquarium heater?

He has the relevant heating equipment normally used in a Viv but he wants to make sure that the water is kept at a temperature adequate for the Dragons just in case anything like this happens again.

He has of course removed the original problem that caused the death of "DUKE" but he would like the water to be heated aswell - just slightly in case of any "future mis-haps".

The water pool in his viv is about the size of 1+1/2 standard size washing up bowls and a little bit deeper - would an Aquarium heater be ok to use?

Thanks in advance to all replies.

·
Registered
859 Posts
To be honest wouldnt it be safer not to even bother with the waterfall if it isnt there it cant kill another dragon.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Get rid of the waterfall all together.

I wouldnt heat the water in a pool - but if i was going to have a water pool i would make sure there is some way for the rep to be able to get out easily if it did wander in there.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
it could be heated but as said the waterfall should be made safer the heater should be guarded if you do but also just make it just above room temp not actualy warm

·
Viv Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks very much.

the water fall has been removed but he just wants to play it safe with regards to the pool.

he's going to get a small aquarium heater and set the temp to 24C - would that be ok? and of course, the heater will be guarded.

thanks again

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
My dragon has a 2ftx2ft pool, about 6 inches deep, which is not heated. He loves it, he has four access points where he can easily get back out after going for a swim. Keep the water cool, it's the ideal way for them to cool off after basking, but ensure they can easily get out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
it shouldnt need to be heated. if the overall vivarium temperature is correct then the water should be heated up by the air. thats how it happens in nature, the water is always naturally cooler than the air, especially in larger quantities. in a small water container i wouldnt heat it, when you fill it up after cleaning or whatever just fill it with luke warm water around 24°C. if youve got a large amount of water and external filters then heating becomes necessary, il be heating my water on my big tank. but were talking about probably 50-60 gallons here, of which at least half will always be outside of the viv and thus dropping to room temperature.

the water dragon only died because it was stuck in the water for too long. a human would die in tropical temperatures if they were in the water for too long from hypothermia, its just what happens. the temperature of the water wont have been the problem, and still isnt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts