Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you have noticed i've been asking a few questions about different reptiles. Basically i can't make my mind up as to which to go for. The eventual plan once i go to uni, i will set up a rep room (im gonna do an animal related course), hopefully so i can study behaviours etc. Thats means i can have all of the lizards i want, and have the time to look after them properly (im gonna go to the local uni).

I just want to get a new lizard. I've got my beardies and geckos. and they are brilliant. I just fancy something extra, to complete my reptillian family.

So obviously, i'm now researching WDs. Any help would be appreciated, viv. size, heat, feeding etc. I've found some conflicting views on the net. so i thought i should ask you guys. Likely i will be getting a single female. I've heard they are smaller and i don't wanna go much bigger for now.

cheers
Mike

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
i keep 2 wd's both female rouge is my baby at nearly 6 months old and storm is my hunni at 13 years old yes 13 years they normaly dont live quite that long but she is a star
firstly things to look at with wd's is
how much time will you have as they do take up alot of time with misting and changing the water daily if not more often they also have to have baths atleast twice a week as it keeps them fit hehehe na they are great swimmers and its really good for them
secondly is space as these babys ned alot of room idealy for 1 single female a 4x3x2 should be fine that height width and depth cant really go any smaller
some other things to add
wd's need very high humidity this means spraying alot of the time you can get an automatic sprayer which i believe work well ive never used them but my main consurn is that you wouldnt be able to have the wd viv near to the beardies as the humididty if it gets to much will make your room humid which COULD affect your beardie viv
heat wise they like it hot lol the heats i believe are about the same as beardies i have my babys viv at 100 bask spot 85 hot end 78ish cool endor there abouts
fedding they can eat green although many wont i can sometimes get my baby to eat cabbage but thats about it really lol she will eat mealies crix waxworms and ive just started giving her half a pinkie every 9 days just to plump her up a little as adult they can eat fuzzies (small ones) locus big crix large mealies (carefull they bite) waxworms and most other livefoods
other things to note is that they love to climb alot so they need loads of plants branches rocks rope anything really they can climb on plus sum hides i use flower pots :D some shelfs do well aswell and they must and i mean must have a large waterbowl in the viv at all times which needs to be changed everyday if not twice because they will poop in it they also need a uv tube of 5.0
i think that just about covers most things anything else just ask
they may be very hard work but they are very fun to watch and hold
manda xx

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not fussed with the amount of work.

I seriously reducing my collection of fish, to the extent i will be selling/rehoming around 100/150 general community fish. plus the majority of my large fish (probably around 30 to rehome)

Im only gonna have a community tank, and probably 15 large fish out of my 43.

Its gonna cut my fish care time from about 3 hours a day, to around 30mins/1 hour.

So you can probably see, im not a stranger to tedious, repetitive work.

Cheers for all the info, but one more question, what are they like to handle. As babies i've seen they are fast. But once they get larger, they get pretty friendly?

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
my baby is very fast but she can be handled but not for very long i try not to rush her but as adults with the right amount of training and handling my storm will quite happily sit on my bed with me or have a cuddle on my chest
manda xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts