Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between water dragons and green iguanas beside the fact that water dragons only get to about 3 ft, where as green iguanas can get upto 7 feet?

is there diet the same? lighting? heat?

I know they need water to swim in

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I suppose you can draw comparisons between the 2 environments but there are very much two separate species. Water dragons love and I mean love to swim and be in water where an iggy doesn't really but they do like it humid....

As for food water dragons are insectivorous but will also eat small rodents and vegetation but an iggy is mainly a veterinarian when they are older. They will take insects when young mind...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which reptile do you think would rather be held? I read alot about iguanas head bobbing and cute little stuff like that, does the water dragon do that too?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
my water dragon doesn't do head bobbing or anything but she is on her own. both can be vert tame and very nasty. it depends on loads of things, i'd say iguanas would be more of a problem if it wasn't tame tho. ive never heard of a nasty wd but there are plenty of iguanas with attitude problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had an iguana and they can be tamed but it is NOT easy. Also they tend to be strict vegetarians as adults. I am getting a Water dragon and It will require much less space as well as being easier to tame (or so I am told). My iguana liked to swim but it much prefered a good misting to a bath. Also it was not an insect eater. The Water dragon does eat veggies but tends to be more carnovirous then anything. They also NEED to swim as much as possible where as an iguana doesn't need to swim it just needs a misting daily. The habitats are similair but from personal experience I can tell you that the iguana will need more room and will tend to destroy a terrium simply from "tasting" the decorations and climbing. Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I think that iguanas can become tamer and more suitable for handling HOWEVER they are also more likely to be very aggressive... a nasty WD isnt going to anywhere near as much damage as a nasty iggy.

Igs also change in personality as they mature so a well mannered youngster does not guarantee you a well mannered adult. These arent a recommended pet.

Personally if you want a lizard you can hold I would go for a beardie or blue tongue skink. If you fancy something larger a black and white tegu may be suitable also. All these species are generally more suited to handling than WDs and less aggressive than iguanas.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
personally i think if your after a pet you can hold im assumin ur willing to give it the time needed so id say go for an iggy if your ok with the space.
set up identical as id always give an iguana a swimming pool anyway.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
both can be tamed but iggys are alot harder to stay tame once they get mature they will become quite bullish and you dont really want a 7 ft lizard whiping or biteing you
if you want a lizard to hold go with a beardie as you will always be able to handle them easy as they only grow to about 2 ft
ive got a black and white tegu and all though they become quite docile you wont be able to hold a 4 ft plus lizard as easy they are best at that size to roam in a room you can still have it climb on to your shoulder but you wont be able to handle like you can a beardie when tegus are juvies they are just as skittish as monitors so still need alot of paitence
or why not try a aussy water dragon they are really nice looking lizards that get to 3ft and tame down very well they are allso mostly captive bred
as its against the law to remove a native animal from the wild in australia so will tame down better than a wild caught lizard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I think I am going to go with the Iguana. I don't like beardies too much, I had one before. I ended up sellin it. I was also much younger then.. but I am looking for a nice shade of green reptile.. I love green iguanas, and water dragons looked cool too. But I would kind of like to have a 6 foot monster roamin around my room :p

thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Good luck hope you find a well behaved one :D Just dont buy one because it does cute head bobs or will look cool walking round. Theres nothing cute about a 6ft iguana biting down on your arm or a 3ft long tail whipping into your ribs :lol:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
good luck :D like tombraider said theres nothing cute or cool with a 6 ft lizard whiping you the green iguana should really have a room to its self or a huge viv they are a big reptile
why not try a chinese water dragon they are a nice shade of green too?
and it would be better in the long run unless you have a big room

1 - 13 of 13 Posts