Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I eventually got a new lizard after much deliberation on what lizard to get.
I got a CB Asian water monitor approx 7mths old.

Looking for a bit of advice on taming.....

I got him 1 week ago and put him in his viv and after a 3hr drive to get him home I decided to just leave him be for a day. The next day I thought I would just try and pick him up but was skittish and I got a couple of nips :?

So I decided to just leave him for the last 5 days and take the slowly slowly approach, he is hiding mostly but at times will come out and bask with me being close by, if I get too close he slowly creeps away.

He is eating fine and no worries there....

I'm just wondering what you have all experienced or any tips to get him tame and less frightened any sooner than my current plan which is too carry on the way I am going until he comes to me when I am doing viv care and feeding etc. ????

Thanks Kindly in advance.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hi, I`m trying to respond but this website keeps stopping my posts for some unknown reason, may I send you a PM (if it allows that)?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Here we go again....
Can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure and give some details of the conditions? Thanks!
A miracle my message works!
It can take literally months and months for them to accept you aren`t a threat, you absolutely must work at the monitor`s pace not yours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I can't upload a picture it requires a web address link?

He is in a 3x2x2 with Cypress mulch substrate, a large water dish for bathing, a hide, basking temp of 110 Fahrenheit, hot end 102 Fahrenheit 60%humidity, cool end 90 Fahrenheit 75% humidity. 10% UVB light.

Food : - Large locusts daily and Pinkie mice x3 twice a week.

I decided to take the waiting game approach after day1 but wanted to see if everyone else did that ? - Most care sheets point to this.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You need to download the pics to Photobucket then copy and paste to here, as far as I know that`s the only way this website will allow photos.
Everything I say is in an effort to help you help your monitor, no disrespect intended (no matter what others may say)! :2thumb:
I think there are some serious problems with the current setup even without seeing it. How are you measuring the temps and humidity?
I`ll go through the basics first; you basically need to know two temps during the daytime; the lowest ambient in the coolest parts @ approx 24c, then the SURFACE temp (I`m not shouting, honest) at the basking site @ between approx. 50 to 60c. Without those relatively high surface temps the monitor will not be able to function efficiently, it`s immune system will be compromised which will lead to many health problems.
The humidity should range between approx. 50 to 80%+, the lower figure will be immediately around the basking site, the higher elsewhere.
Pinkie mice have very little nutrition, better to offer fuzzies, if too big to swallow whole cut them in half lengthways while still frozen then obviously thoroughly defrost before feeding. You can also offer small whole fish (fresh or saltwater), whole prawns/shrimp, fertilised quail eggs, chicks when the animal grows.
I`ll offer more info when you can get a few pics up, please understand the above modifications are urgent (meaning right now)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi,

Thanks for the info:-

Using the Komodo dial gauges.

I can see the basking temp needs raising a little, but the humidity levels are correct as you say lower in the hot end and higher in the cool end.

What was the other issue ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
If the gauges are analogue they are normally quite inaccurate which means you/we have no idea what the real temps and humidity are. You must use digital gauges for the ambient temps and humidity and an IR Temp-gun to check the basking surface temp. You can get both those on eBay for less than £10 each.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,

The basking temp I used a digital thermometer that the unit counts as inside and the sensor on a wire is called outside probe. That's how I got the reading for the basking temp by using the probe.

Could you link me the items please ?

Your monitor looks cool :)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thanks for the photo. I can see there are places to hide which is most important, apart from that this enclosure won`t last more than a few weeks at most, basically because it`s not large enough, it won`t hold a decent depth of substrate and if the surface gets damaged at all it will rot being particle based.
I would advise you remove the wire cages around the bulbs, if the monitor reaches up it will get seriously burned.
What type and wattage is the basking bulb?
Any water used for soaking must be heated to between approx. 29 to 32c, they may spend extended periods in the water, sometimes overnight. I use an external heater in my 450 ltr pond but you can use a normal interior aquarium heater (make sure it has a guard).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi

It is 100w exo terra basking spot, the guard doesn't get hot enough to burn , I have wrapped my hand around it, the 150w I tried was too hot when I touched the guard, so replaced it with the 100w and raised the height of the basking spot to compensate. The night ceramic is 60w to maintain the night temp, both are dimming stat controlled.

What size and how old is your monitor ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Most experienced keepers use the relatively low wattage outdoor halogen bulbs @ par 30 or par 38, must be flood beam, the idea is to evenly heat at least the snout to vent length as you see in my photos.
You basking surface temps are much too low, I would suggest you try 2 halogens @ around 60w, placed a few cm apart. You can buy these on eBay or one of the lighting retailers such as "TLC Direct", I normally pay between £3 to £6 each.
My male V. s. macromaculatus currently measures 242cm, and has just turned 6 years old (I`ve had him since a hatchling), I also have a young "female" (I hope), though she`s too small yet to be introduced to him...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You must use a ceramic bulb fixture....

http://www.diy.com/departments/ge-edison-screw-cap-e27-75w-halogen-reflector-spot-light-bulb/235679_BQ.prd?D3C_LI_E27LB_R_M_0048

Hi,
Something like this but a 60w and I have the Komodo ceramic fitment already in place, just need another. Do they get hot enough they need to be guarded also ?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Can you try another link, that doesn`t work?
I can guarantee that at some point the monitor will grab hold of the guard and will get burned, you really do need to remove them, and yes, the halogens get extremely hot (as does the ceramic heat emitter you`re using).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you try another link, that doesn`t work?
I can guarantee that at some point the monitor will grab hold of the guard and will get burned, you really do need to remove them, and yes, the halogens get extremely hot (as does the ceramic heat emitter you`re using).

Sorry that was a "spot" not a "flood" light, I noticed your halogens are unguarded on the bottom has he ever tried to reach up at those ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.