Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me I have a 06 water monitor I have had her a few months now she has always been what I would say dog tame a very nice monitor.she has never been nasty in any way always wanting to be out of her viv and up on your shoulder. This last week she has changed since she went into my new reptile room she always looks very nervy she never wants to come to you and looks the total opersite to what he has been like for over a year now. I went to see her today and for the first time she wanted to tail whip me can anyone help.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
dont really know much bout monitors but it maybe that he has seen all the other reptiles and maybe its brought out his wild instincts ar maybe hes just having a lil streess because hes been moved and its a new enviroment to him but i mean im just guessing really but thats all i can think it might be

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
try not to look imposing and keep handling her. also having her on the cool side when you handle her helps to take the fire out. let her climb around and keep picking her up and putting her on your bed or something. just keep at it. don't worry about any stress to her. pet her a lot, it'll desensitize her. never let her win a fight (whipping)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not meaning to start a debate or argment but you shouldnt stress any lizard out and if handling it is stressing it then maybe you should keep it to a minimum. It could just be that it needs time to adjust to the new surroundings. It could also be that it thinks the other lizards are in its territory and is just on gaurd at the moment. Dominating a lizard is not a good way of taming.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
water monitors aren't the delicate little flowers you may think!:lol2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know abit about monitors because thats all i keep. Stress can still kill a lizard even if it is a monster. Nice pics any way.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
i've kept a few but i've never seen one drop dead from being handled. stress can kill, but as far as lizards go, water monitors are are about as immune to stress as you can get. heck, i've never seen one that up and died from about anything short of pure neglect. about the toughest thing walking. they don't get scared, they get mad. i don't know how you can stress them out by handling them. they seem to just move on to the next activity.

·
Registered
202 Posts
ok fair enough, who ever started this thread just make sure if you make your lizard mad mind your fingers or hand you might loose them:lol2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This monitor was the softest monitor you could of wished for it did not mind been handled at all she would climb on to your shoulder as soon as you opened the viv and for some reason she now wants to hide when ever she sees you . She is in my new reptile room but she dose not see any other reptiles . Her change has got me puzzles I have a 4ft Bosc that also went in to the reptile room and he has not changed at all.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hi boscs.
did he go in a new viv? or just new room?
anything else different?
ie...new heat lamps, uv, etc

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
i would think that your lizard is probably adjusting to the new viv and also the smells are different in the new room so needs a little time to settle in..

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
are your temps the same? often tame animals are just cold, hopefully not the case here :smile:
if it's just the room, give him time. my bosc and freckled are the bravest things in the world when in there viv but the second you get them out they panic and whip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts