Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Royal for nearly a month now but have never seen her drink, she has fresh water daily is eating and shedding fine, temps are good and she is active so im not too worried as she seems healthy but it is starting to play on my mind. Does anyone know of a way to find out if she is drinking :? . apart from a 24 hour watch that is.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
It probably is drinking. Just when you're not looking :D . Maybe in the dead of night? If your THAT worried about it, take the water bowl away for a day or two and put it back in and watch over the evening or night when she is most active.

·
Registered
212 Posts
At least im not the only one getting paranoid about this !
Ive had my Rat Snake for 2 weeks now and haven't seen her drink yet either.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Hi,
I often see mine drink, infact - my girl is currently in shed and just went for a good dunk and a drink in her water bowl.

I'm thinking its just something your royal wants to do in privacy if you've not seen it just yet!

A month without drinking and she's be a pruney snake :wink:

If she is eating ok too, remember there is a fair bit of fluid in a mousie.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just to re-itterate what has already been said.

She probably is drinking, I think after a month she wouldn't be in the best of health.

If it is any comfort, I have had my crawl cay boa for almost 2 years. Not once have I seen him drink! I have tried to sneak in on him and at all times of the day and night. I have sat quietly in the viv room for at least an hour trying to catch him at it but to no avail. He is in very good health so he must be drinking but only in complete privacy.

Iinitially I started injecting the boas rats with a few mls of water/vitamin mix just for my piece of mind.

My JCP on the other hand I see her drinking all the time.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I think i've only seen my royal drink once in 8 mths! I've never seen my boas drink or my corn! I really wouldn't worry as long as water is available they'll drink if they need to....

Also as an addition I tend to sneek some water into them. I feed my snakes in plastic boxes thus they don't go swallowing any substrate so to warm my rats up I dunk them in warm/hot water. Not only does this bring up the temp of the rat so it looks alive it also covers it in water!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
This is the last thing you need to worry about :lol: , but if you are intent on seeing it, I've noticed my corn will usually drink after a meal so if you are sitting and watching, make it after a meal.

Is there white stuff in with the poo? This is urine, so white stuff = liquid = drinking.

Don't forget your snake is nocternal, and shy, so will be doing a lot more at night than during he day when you are about.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
mine drinks after he has eaten too.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys, now im no longer worried about her drinking so its time for me to start down the pub :lol:
Merry Xmas All

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Put the snake in the bath, sometimes mine drink in there, i rarely see mine drink from there bowls, but aint worried, as they get fluids from there food anyway, plus i bath them every month or so, so they drink then aswell. But yes they often drink when it is quite, they like to keep us on our toes lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
tbh if your not seeing the snake drink then it means your humidity and set up is correct

as the royal si getting ample moisture so doesnt need any extra

·
Registered
675 Posts
aye i've never seen my baby drink! when my brothers baby came here though, she drank as soon as i put her in her tank! it was so cute to watch!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I could be wrong, but dont Royals get kinda a krinkly eye if they are dehydrated? If it doesn't look like a cat's bum-hole, then you should be fine! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts