Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys/girls

has any1 yet tried that wax breeding, im in the process of doing it,1 week into it so far!!!

damo

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
think your in for a shock then!! those critters get everywhere! the moths escape and you find them in cupboards in your clothes in your shoes everywhere! oh your gonna have fun! :lol:
think is why most people buy them! is just much easier! i mean the food stuff you have to make up to feed them is complicated enough! let alone the escapee complication... :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o no really???hahahahaha!!!they are in a glass jar wiv a old pair of my wifes tights over the lid???wat u reckon then??youve tried it then??

damo

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
no i haven't, but my friend did and he had a nightmare time! bloody moths everywhere..i have enough probs when i drop a tub of moths and they all escape let alone breeding them!
have read up on how to do it but to be honest they aren't expensive and cos i have to buy in bulk i don't run out so no point from my end! :)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
BELIAL said:
no i haven't, but my friend did and he had a nightmare time! bloody moths everywhere..i have enough probs when i drop a tub of moths and they all escape let alone breeding them!
have read up on how to do it but to be honest they aren't expensive and cos i have to buy in bulk i don't run out so no point from my end! :)
I'm going to try it because its a nightmare getting small enough waxies for my little geckos. Hopefully I won't have runaway moths though :lol:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea me to im gona carry on and try to breed thm,i will keep forum up dated!!!!

damo

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
what do u guys feed the waxworms?
i never know what to feed them

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i've had a few devlop into moths.my leos love chasing them and they didnt get out.just make sure you open the pot in the viv.keeps my fiance out the way tho as hes scared stiff of moths.Dont think you can feed anything other then bees wax.hence their name.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oh...<removes finger from ear..wipes...puts tub of waxies back in cupboard>

right...ok.. :S

jk, i have thrown in a half a spoon of sugar but dont think they ate it lol.. they last well without food dont they?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i feed mine on fruit baby food with a little nutrobal mixed in. they sit in it and get all fat. its disgusting haha :lol:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You can also feed on a mix of honey, wheatabix and nutobal all mushed up!

I was breeding, then gave up as none of ours actually like waxies much! lol

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
when i first used them, knowing i didnt have honey or anything i got some sugar and added water and made a goo... tipped the waxies out near it and they all went for it... and withing ten mins 5 had..i thought died.. but i soon realised that was them caccooning up to become moths.
now i rarely feed them atall and they live... odd.

I got a big tub from liefoods about 6 weeks ago and have hardly made a dent in them.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
goodness that ages.now thats what you call a good shelf life! mine last about a week with my leos but i only get them once a month if that.

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
I used to breed my own livefood but stopped when I sold my beardies and water dragons. I found waxworms ok to breed but the moths do get out if you're not careful and they will breed just about anywhere that's warm and damp.. about 3 escaped and the next thing I knew they'd bred in the bottom of my indoor aviary !! Luckily my parrots like moths.

I fed honey or baby food, baby food is cheaper, they don't need much of it really but I think the more sweet it is the quicker they will cocoon.

Worst thing to breed was locusts... the smell, ugh.. never doing that again.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
this is probably the best food stuffs for waxworms but is just such a pain to make no-one really bothers. it is however the best thing to feed them!

Honey,glycerine and honeycomb...you mix it all together in a pan over a low heat. you then mix with yeast and wholemeal flour.

or

oatmeal, yeast flakes, glycerine, luke warm water and rose hip syrup.

you don't have to be a chef but it helps!! :)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh i know that one, never even wanted to attempt to make that lol.. to be honest ive never even seen "yeast" anywhere but the ingredients bit on a loaf of bread :?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
don't know what the yeast actually does as it is a rising agent!? it goes off pretty quickly too so i don't know if it is the best thing to use..????

top one is quite good and if you get hungry you can eat some! :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
i never though bout breeding them...unntil nows...think i will as they cost a bomb..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts