Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I think my geckie is addicted to wax worms.

He will take as many as I offer him but if I offer other kinds of food he won't take it.

He used to love locusts and crickets but if I put them in the enclosure now he won't go after them.

How can I wean him off his wax worm addiction.

Cheers. :bash:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There's no way you can "cut down" on the wax worms, so the best way is to simply offer no other food but say locusts, crickets etc instead. Eventually it'll be hungry and will have to eat.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
stop giving them to him might be a good place to start,
its bad to give them alot anyway and he wont stave himself he will eat other foods

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
There's no way you can "cut down" on the wax worms, so the best way is to simply offer no other food but say locusts, crickets etc instead. Eventually it'll be hungry and will have to eat.
I agree unless he loses alot of weight but if he's in good health he should be okay to just feed locusts etc.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stop giving them to him might be a good place to start,
its bad to give them alot anyway and he wont stave himself he will eat other foods
I do realise that I shouldn't give him any more wax worms and so I will get rid off the ones I have left.

He did go on a hunger strike for a few days until I offered wax worms again and he took them, but when I put a locust in he watched it but didn't take it which made me realise that he is rejecting other food.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My chameleon has the same issue. I now put the locusts in the enclosure in the morning and after he's had some then will put a couple of waxworms in as a treat. seems to be working. He went from eating no locusts sunday to eating 5 locusts already today. He has just had the waxworms and my boy almost fell of the vine running so quick to get them. It's a very sweet sight - will have to video and upload it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I do realise that I shouldn't give him any more wax worms and so I will get rid off the ones I have left.

He did go on a hunger strike for a few days until I offered wax worms again and he took them, but when I put a locust in he watched it but didn't take it which made me realise that he is rejecting other food.
It is quite tough - my girl was only fed waxies before I had her but she'll now take more or less anything : victory:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
a few days is nothing to worry about
they can live for weeks without food, just make sure he doesent loose weight

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My chameleon has the same issue. I now put the locusts in the enclosure in the morning and after he's had some then will put a couple of waxworms in as a treat. seems to be working. He went from eating no locusts sunday to eating 5 locusts already today. He has just had the waxworms and my boy almost fell of the vine running so quick to get them. It's a very sweet sight - will have to video and upload it tomorrow.
I tried to offer locusts/crickets and then wax worms, this was ok for a while but now he rejects the locusts/crickets LOL.

Like I said I will just have to stop giving them to him and try the other food from now on.

As said before, when he is hungry he will take them again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
my beardy was addicted to wax worms he would go mental for them when he was only getting them as treats, and then stopped eating his locusts in the hope I'd give him the worms.
I stopped giving him them for a few weeks until he learnt to eat the hoppers and after a while he was fine. It's hard cos you don't want to feel like they're starving, but you've just got to think that if they're hungry enough, they'll eat it eventually, and as long as they're not losing weight, they're just being fussy!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my beardy was addicted to wax worms he would go mental for them when he was only getting them as treats, and then stopped eating his locusts in the hope I'd give him the worms.
I stopped giving him them for a few weeks until he learnt to eat the hoppers and after a while he was fine. It's hard cos you don't want to feel like they're starving, but you've just got to think that if they're hungry enough, they'll eat it eventually, and as long as they're not losing weight, they're just being fussy!!!
Thank you.
my geckie was sulking because he wasn't getting his way :lol2:
He stopped eating since Thursday last week but I did the stupid thing of giving in to him and gave him wax worms which he greedily took (around 6 !!) last night.
This morning I put 1 locust in and he just watched it and I have been told that it is still in there.
maybe he was just full from his wax worm feeding frenzy.:gasp:

·
Registered
376 Posts
i've found that mealies are good for getting geckos off waxworms,i've been given leos that were eating them every day,not good,i do it once or twice a week with other food to treat mine. Your leo will be fine though,as others have said just watch out for the weight :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
^This.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts